Features and Benefits
- 10-Bit ADC with 9 µs Conversion Time
- The AD7816 Is a Temperature Measurement Only Device
- On-Chip Temperature Sensor
Resolution of 0.25°C
±2°C Error from −40°C to +85°C
−55°C to +125°C Operating Range
- Wide Operating Supply Range 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- On-Chip Reference (2.5 V ± 1%)
- Over-Temperature Indicator
- Automatic Power-Down at the End of a Conversion
- Low Power Operation
4 µW at a Throughput Rate of 10 SPS
40 µW at a Throughput Rate of 1 kSPS
400 µW at a Throughput Rate of 10 kSPS
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD7818 and AD7817 are 10-bit, single- and 4-channel A/D converters with on-chip temperature sensor that can operate from a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply. Each part contains a 9 μs successive-approximation converter based around a capacitor DAC, an on-chip temperature sensor with an accuracy of ±2°C, an on-chip clock oscillator, inherent track-and-hold functionality and an on-chip reference (2.5 V). The AD7816 is a temperature monitoring only device in a SOIC/MSOP package.
The on-chip temperature sensor of the AD7817 and AD7818 can be accessed via Channel 0. When Channel 0 is selected and a conversion is initiated, the resulting ADC code at the end of the conversion gives a measurement of the ambient temperature with a resolution of ±0.25°C. See Temperature Measurement section of this data sheet.
The AD7816, AD7817, and AD7818 have a flexible serial interface that allows easy interfacing to most microcontrollers. The interface is compatible with the Intel 8051, Motorola SPI® and QSPI™ protocols and National Semiconductors MICROWIRE™ protocol. For more information refer to the Serial Interface section of this data sheet.
The AD7817 is available in a narrow body 0.15" 16-lead small outline IC (SOIC), in a 16-lead, thin shrink small outline package (TSSOP), while the AD7816 / AD7818 come in an 8-lead small outline IC (SOIC) and an 8-lead microsmall outline IC (MSOP).
- The devices have an on-chip temperature sensor that allows an accurate measurement of the ambient temperature to be made. The measurable temperature range is −55°C to +125°C.
- An overtemperature indicator is implemented by carrying out a digital comparison of the ADC code for Channel 0 (temperature sensor) with the contents of the on-chip overtemperature register. The overtemperature indicator pin goes logic low when a predetermined temperature is exceeded.
- The automatic power-down feature enables the AD7817 and AD7818 to achieve superior power performance at slower throughput rates, that is, 40 μW at 1 kSPS throughput rate.
- Data acquisition systems with ambient temperature monitoring
- Industrial process control
- Battery charging applications
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.