Features and Benefits
- Linear current output: 1 µA/K
- Wide temperature range: -55°C to +150°C
- Probe compatible ceramic sensor package
- 2-terminal device: voltage in/current out
- Laser trimmed to ±0.5°C calibration accuracy (AD590M)
- Excellent linearity: ±0.3°C over full range (AD590M)
- Wide power supply range: 4 V to 30 V
- Sensor isolation from case
- Available in 2-lead FLATPACK, 4-lead LFCSP, 3-pin TO-52, 8-lead SOIC, and die form
The AD590 is a 2-terminal integrated circuit temperature trans-ducer that produces an output current proportional to absolute temperature. For supply voltages between 4 V and 30 V, the device acts as a high impedance, constant current regulator passing 1 μA/K. Laser trimming of the chip’s thin-film resistors is used to calibrate the device to 298.2 μA output at 298.2 K (25°C).
The AD590 should be used in any temperature-sensing application below 150°C in which conventional electrical temperature sensors are currently employed. The inherent low cost of a monolithic integrated circuit combined with the elimination of support circuitry makes the AD590 an attractive alternative for many temperature measurement situations. Linearization circuitry, precision voltage amplifiers, resistance measuring circuitry, and cold junction compensation are not needed in applying the AD590.
In addition to temperature measurement, applications include temperature compensation or correction of discrete components, biasing proportional to absolute temperature, flow rate measurement, level detection of fluids and anemometry. The AD590 is available in die form, making it suitable for hybrid circuits and fast temperature measurements in protected environments.
The AD590 is particularly useful in remote sensing applications. The device is insensitive to voltage drops over long lines due to its high impedance current output. Any well-insulated twisted pair is sufficient for operation at hundreds of feet from the receiving circuitry. The output characteristics also make the AD590 easy to multiplex: the current can be switched by a CMOS multiplexer, or the supply voltage can be switched by a logic gate output.
- The AD590 is a calibrated, 2-terminal temperature sensor requiring only a dc voltage supply (4 V to 30 V). Costly transmitters, filters, lead wire compensation, and linearization circuits are all unnecessary in applying the device.
- State-of-the-art laser trimming at the wafer level in conjunction with extensive final testing ensures that AD590 units are easily interchangeable.
- Superior interface rejection occurs because the output is a current rather than a voltage. In addition, power requirements are low (1.5 mW @ 5 V @ 25°C). These features make the AD590 easy to apply as a remote sensor.
- The high output impedance (>10 MΩ) provides excellent rejection of supply voltage drift. For instance, changing the power supply from 5 V to 10 V results in only a 1 μA maximum current change, or 1°C equivalent error.
- The AD590 is electrically durable: it withstands a forward voltage of up to 44 V and a reverse voltage of 20 V. Therefore, supply irregularities or pin reversal does not damage the device.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD590-ARDZ is an evaluation board for demonstrating the performance and ease of use of the AD590, a 2-terminal integrated circuit temperature transducer that produces an output current proportional to absolute temperature. Requiring supply voltages between 4V and 30V, the device acts as a high impedance, constant current regulator passing 1μA/K. Laser trimming of the chip’s thin-film resistors is used to calibrate the device to 298.2μA output at 298.2K (25°C).
Documentation & Resources
LIGO is Ahead of What's Possible10/15/2018
The Power of Low Noise in IoT Smart Sensors9/1/2016
Measuring Temperatures on Computer Chips with Speed and Accuracy-A New Approach Using Silicon Sensors and Off-Chip Processing4/1/1999 Analog Dialogue
A Quarter-Century of Analog Dialogue1/1/1991 Analog Dialogue
Sensors and How to Use Them2/29/2016
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
Select a model from the dropdown below to subscribe to PCN/PDN notifications and view past notifications as well.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
A Sample link will be shown above, next to the part, only for parts that are included in our sample program. Selecting the Sample button will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.