Features and Benefits
- Low power, small footprint, pin-compatible octal DACs: 14 bits
- 14-lead/16-lead TSSOP, 16-lead LFCSP, and 16-ball WLCSP
- On-chip 1.25 V/2.5 V, 5 ppm/°C reference
- Power down to 400 nA at 5 V, 200 nA at 3 V
- 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply
- Guaranteed monotonic by design
- Power-on reset to zero scale or midscale
- 3 power-down functions
- Hardware LDAC and LDAC override function
- CLR function to programmable code
- Rail-to-rail operation
The AD5648 device is a low power, octal, 14-bit, buffered voltage-output DAC. All devices operate from a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V supply and are guaranteed monotonic by design. The AD5668 and AD5628 are available in both a 4 mm × 4 mm LFCSP and a 16-lead TSSOP, while the AD5648 is available in both a 14-lead and 16-lead TSSOP.
The AD5628/AD5648/AD5668 have an on-chip reference with an internal gain of 2. The AD5628-1/AD5648-1/AD5668-1 have a 1.25 V 5 ppm/°C reference, giving a full-scale output range of 2.5 V; the AD5628-2/AD5648-2/AD5668-2 and AD5668-3 have a 2.5 V 5 ppm/°C reference, giving a full-scale output range of 5 V. The on-board reference is off at power-up, allowing the use of an external reference. The internal reference is enabled via a software write.
The part incorporates a power-on reset circuit that ensures that the DAC output powers up to 0 V (AD5628-1/AD5648-1/AD5668-1, AD5628-2/AD5648-2/AD5668-2) or midscale (AD5668-3) and remains powered up at this level until a valid write takes place. The part contains a power-down feature that reduces the current consumption of the device to 400 nA at 5 V and provides software-selectable output loads while in power-down mode for any or all DAC channels. The outputs of all DACs can be updated simultaneously using the LDAC function, with the added functionality of user-selectable DAC channels to simultaneously update. There is also an asynchronous CLR that updates all DACs to a userprogrammable code—zero scale, midscale, or full scale.
The AD5628/AD5648/AD5668 utilize a versatile 3-wire serial interface that operates at clock rates of up to 50 MHz and is compatible with standard SPI®, QSPI™, MICROWIRE™, and DSP interface standards. The on-chip precision output amplifier enables rail-to-rail output swing.
- Octal, 12-/14-/16-bit DAC.
- On-chip 1.25 V/2.5 V, 5 ppm/°C reference.
- Available in 14-lead/16-lead TSSOP, 16-lead LFCSP, and 16-ball WLCSP.
- Power-on reset to 0 V or midscale.
- Power-down capability. When powered down, the DAC typically consumes 200 nA at 3 V and 400 nA at 5 V.
- Process control
- Data acquisition systems
- Portable battery-powered instruments
- Digital gain and offset adjustment
- Programmable voltage and current sources
- Programmable attenuators
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD5668 evaluation board (EVALAD5668EBRZ and AD5668EBCZ) is designed to help customers quickly prototype new AD5668 circuits and reduce design time. The AD5668 operates from a single 2.7 V to 5.5 V supply. The part incorporates an internal 1.25 V or 2.5 V onboard reference to give an output voltage span of 2.5 V or 5 V, respectively. The on-board reference is off at power-up allowing for the use of an external reference; the REF195 is used on this evaluation board. The part must be written to after power-up to turn on the internal reference.
Consult the AD5668 data sheet, available from Analog Devices, in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation board. The evaluation board interfaces to the USB port of a PC via the SDP board. Software is available with the evaluation board, which allows the user to easily program the AD5668.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD5668
- On-board reference
- Various link options
- PC control in conjunction with Analog Devices
- System development platform (SDP)
- PC software for control of DACs
- On-board ADC for voltage readback
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.