Features and Benefits
- 4 A peak drive output capability
- Output power device resistance: <1 Ω
- Desaturation protection
- Isolated desaturation fault reporting
- Soft shutdown on fault
- Miller clamp output with gate sense input
- Isolated fault and ready functions
- Low propagation delay: 55 ns typical
- Minimum pulse width: 50 ns
- Operating temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
- Output voltage range to 30V
- Input voltage range from 2.3 V to 6 V
- Output and input undervoltage lockout (UVLO)
- Creepage distance: 7.8 mm minimum
- 100 kV/µs common-mode transient immunity (CMTI)
- 20 year lifetime for 600 V rms or 1092 V dc working voltage
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- 5 kV ac for 1 minute per UL 1577
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A
- DIN V VDE V 0884-10 (VDE V 0884-10):2006-12
- VIORM = 849 V peak (reinforced/basic)
The ADuM4135 is a single-channel gate driver specifically optimized for driving insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs). Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology provides isolation between the input signal and the output gate drive.
The ADuM4135 includes a Miller clamp to provide robust IGBT turn-off with a single-rail supply when the gate voltage drops below 2 V. Operation with unipolar or bipolar secondary supplies is possible, with or without the Miller clamp operation.
The Analog Devices chip scale transformers also provide isolated communication of control information between the high voltage and low voltage domains of the chip. Information on the status of the chip can be read back from dedicated outputs. Control of resetting the device after a fault on the secondary is performed on the primary side of the device.
Integrated onto the ADuM4135 is a desaturation detection circuit that provides protection against high voltage shortcircuit IGBT operation. The desaturation protection contains noise reducing features such as a 300 ns masking time after a switching event to mask voltage spikes due to initial turn-on. An internal 500 µA current source allows low device count and the internal blanking switch allows the addition of an external current source if more noise immunity is needed.
The secondary UVLO is set to 11 V with common IGBT threshold levels taken into consideration.
- MOSFET/IGBT gate drivers
- PV inverters
- Motor drives
- Power supplies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (3)
The EVAL-ADuM4135EBZ supports the ADuM4135 which is a single channel gate driver specifically optimized for driving IGBTs. The Analog Devices, Inc. iCoupler® technology provides isolation between the input signal and the output gate drive.
The ADuM4135 provides a miller clamp in order to provide robust IGBT turn-off with a single rail supply once the gate voltage drops below 2 V. Operation with unipolar or bipolar secondary supplies is possible, with or without the miller clamp operation. The Analog Devices chip-scale transformers also provide isolated communication of control information between the high voltage and low voltage domains of the chip. Information on the status of the chip may be read back from dedicated outputs. Control of resetting the part after a fault on the secondary is performed on the primary side of the device.
Integrated onto the ADuM4135 is a desaturation detection circuit that provides protection against high voltage short circuit IGBT operation. The desaturation protection contains noise reducing features such as a 300 ns masking time after switching event to mask voltage spikes due to initial turn-on. An internal 500 µA current source allows for low part count, but the internal blanking switch allows for the addition of an external current source in case more noise immunity is desired
ISOLATED INVERTER PLATFORM
The Isolated Inverter Platform is a rapid development system for hardware and/or software development in three-phase inverter applications, with a particular focus on motor control. Flexible evaluation of ADI isolation technology in a highly configurable system-oriented platform is enabled with multiple test-points, and connectivity options. An easy-plug connector allows controller connection to an ADSP-CM408 processor evaluation board, while additional 0.1” headers enable alternative connectivity to other processor or FPGA platforms. The benefits of ADI isolated sigma-delta converters for voltage and current measurement, isolated gate drivers, and power controllers can be explored in a full system application at dc bus levels up to 800V. There are 2 models available, isolated inverter platform, and isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers.
The isolated inverter platform and isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers offer a power board that runs from a dc input and provides a three-phase variable frequency, variable voltage, and variable dead-time PWM output to a three-phase motor or load. The inverter is provided as an open loop platform, but feedback signals are provided to enable the application developer to close the control loop. For the isolated inverter platform (EV-MCS-ISOINV-Z), two isolated current,phase to phase and dc bus voltage feedback signals are provided to the control side of the board via sigma-delta modulators, and these can be used for development of control algorithms. The inverter is made up of a three-phase six-IGBT bridge, with the IGBTs rated at 1200V and driven by three dual isolated gate drivers (ADuM4223). For the isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers (EV-MCS-ISOINVEP-Z), three isolated phase current and dc bus voltage feedback signals are provided to the control side of the board via sigma-delta modulators, and these can be used for development of control algorithms. The inverter is made up of a three-phase six-IGBT bridge, with the IGBTs rated at 1200V and driven by six individual isolated gate drivers (ADuM4135) with desaturation protection and Miller clamp. For both platforms, a DC – rather than AC- input is provided to allow flexibility on the dc bus voltage level (rather than it being limited to the ac line peak).
The board is designed to work from a DC supply in the range 24Vdc-800Vdc.. The power board is rated up to 2kVA without forced air cooling. Additional power throughput can be achieved with fan cooling added. A series connected diode implements a half-wave rectifier at the input, so if needed, the power board can be driven from an AC supply. However output power is limited in this case. If a full AC front-end is required, the inverter platform can be utilized in conjunction with the ADP1047 evaluation board up to 300W, or the ADP1048 evaluation board up to 600W. An isolated I2C interface is provided on the inverter board so that the ADP104x evaluation board can be easily controlled by the same processor/FPGA interface. The inverter kit has the hardware and software required to spin a three-phase motor under open loop speed control in conjunction with an ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit. The demo software is provided as an IAR Embedded Workbench C project or an executable file which can be flashed to the ADSP-CM408 processor using the ADI serial boot-loader utility. A .NET-based graphical user interface (GUI) is provided to enable motor start-stop, open loop Volts/Hertz speed control, and data visualization.
- Isolated Inverter Board, 24-800Vdc, 2Kva (2 Versions)
- Adapter board for connection to EZkit
- USB to serial adapter for using GUI
- SOLD SEPERATELY: ADI ADSP-CM408 EZ Kit
- IAR Embedded Workbench C project
- Executable Demo Application
- .NET-based Graphical User Interface (GUI)
- To download software and to get technical support on the isolated inverter platform with basic gate drivers go to https://ez.analog.com/docs/DOC-12105
- To download software and to get technical support on the isolated inverter platform with full featured IGBT drivers go to https://ez.analog.com/docs/DOC-12608
Features & Benefits
The isolated inverter platform enables users to:
- Evaluate ADI’s new, fully featured isolated gate drivers (ADuM4135) technology in a system-level application at realistic dc bus voltages (EV-MCS-ISOINVEP-Z)
- Evaluate ADI simple dual isolated gate driver (ADuM4223) technology in a system-level application at realistic dc bus voltages (EV-MCS-ISOINV-Z)
- Evaluate ADI sigma-delta modulators (AD7403) for voltage and current measurement or feedback in a realistic switching environment
- Develop motor control algorithms utilizing ADI isolated sigma-delta current and voltage feedback
- Test bench their motor control software/firmware with a flexible hardware development platform
- Evaluate an elegant gate driver bias supply solution using the ADP1621
High power evaluation board, up to 1200V & 50A @ 200kHz switching frequency featuring the combo ADI ADuM4135 isolated gate driver + LT3999 isolated power supply controller + Microsemi SiC power module in half bridge configuration.
For more information, email RenwBoards@analog.com.
Features & Benefits
- Half Bridge Topology
- 1200V, 50A, 200kHz
- >100kV/us CMTI
- 4 layers PCB
- 12V VIN supply
- Independent High Side and Low Side PWM inputs (Single control with 70ns deadtime for testing)
- 1 LT3999 + 1 ADuM4135 for both High Side and Low Side
- Full tested ‘Desat protection’
- Low inductive and high current terminals for V+, V- and AC phase connection
Application Notes (3)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Safety and Regulatory Compliance (1)
Technical Articles (5)
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.