Features and Benefits
- isoPower integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter
- 100 mA output supply
- AEC-Q100 qualified for automotive applications ADuM6421AW (ADuM6423AW pending)
- Meets CISPR 32/EN55032 Class B emission limits up to 5 Mbps at a full load on a 2-layer PCB
- Quad dc to 100 Mbps signal isolation channels
- 28-lead, fine pitch, SOIC with 8.3 mm minimum creepage
- High temperature operation: 125°C maximum
- High common-mode transient immunity: 100 kV/μs
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- UL recognition (pending)
- 5000 V rms for 1 minute per UL 1577
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A (pending)
- VDE V 0884-11 certificate of conformity (pending)
- VIORM = 566 V peak
- CQC certification per GB4943.1-2011 (pending)
The ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A1 are quad-channel digital isolators with an isoPower®, integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter. Based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology, the dc-to-dc converter provides regulated, isolated power that meets CISPR 32/EN 55032 Class B limits at a full load on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) with ferrites. Popular voltage combinations and the associated output current levels are listed in Table 1 in the data sheet.
The ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A eliminate the need for a separate, isolated dc-to-dc converter in 500 mW, isolated designs. The iCoupler chip scale transformer technology is used for isolated logic signals and for the magnetic components of the dc-to-dc converter. The result is a small form factor, total isolation solution.
The ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A isolators provide four independent isolation channels. See the Pin Configurations and Function Descriptions in the data sheet for additional information.
- RS-232 transceivers
- Power supply start-up bias and gate drives
- Isolated sensor interfaces
- Automotive on-board charger (OBC) and dc to dc
- Industrial programmable logic controllers (PLCs)
1 Protected by U.S. Patents 5,952,849; 6,873,065; 6,903,578; and 7,075,329. Other patents are pending.
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This iCoupler transformer technology enables a small form factor integrated, reinforced isolated signal and power solution, in applications requiring up to 500 mW of isolated power.
Available dc-to-dc converter supply configurations and maximum available power at the elevated ambient temperatures are specified in the ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A data sheet.
The ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A devices provide regulated, isolated power that meets CISPR 32/EN 55032, Class B limits at full load on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) with ferrite beads. Radiated emissions test plots of the EVAL-ADUM6421ARNZ/EVAL-ADUM6421AURNZ are provided in Figure 4 and Figure 5 in the data sheet. All devices in the family include the same isolated dc-to-dc converter and are differentiated by directional digital channel configurations.
The EVAL-ADUM6421ARNZ includes the ADuM6421ABRNZ5 quad-channel digital isolator with integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter. Alternatively, the EVAL-ADUM6421AURNZ leaves the isolator position unpopulated to support evaluation of the ADuM6420A, ADuM6421A, ADuM6422A, ADuM6423A, or ADuM6424A.
Full specifications for the ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A are available in the ADuM6420A/ADuM6421A/ADuM6422A/ADuM6423A/ADuM6424A data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with the user guide when using the evaluation boards.
Features & Benefits
- isoPower integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter
- Meets CISPR 32/EN 55032, Class B emission limits
- On-board 6 V to 9 V LDO power supply that provides 5 V to the VDDP pin
- 5 V input operation and selectable 3.3 V or 5 V isolated dc-to-dc converter output
- Screw terminal connectors for the following
- LDO power supply
- 5 V direct power supply
- Off board PDIS control
- Isolated output supply
Tools & Simulations
Product Selector Card (1)
Safety and Regulatory Compliance (1)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.