Features and Benefits
- Input start-up voltage range: 2.15 V to 6.50 V
- Operation down to 2.00 V
- Ultralow, 260 nA quiescent current with no load
- Selective output voltage from 1.2 V to 3.6 V (or 0.8 V to 5.0 V)
- ±2.5% output accuracy over the full temperature range
- Selectable hysteresis or pulse-width modulation (PWM) operation mode
- Output current up to 50 mA in hysteresis mode
- VINOK flag to monitor the input voltage
- Ultrafast stop switching control
- 100% duty cycle operation mode
- Quick output discharge (QOD) option
- Undervoltage lockout (UVLO), OCP, and thermal shutdown (TSD) protection
- 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP package
- −40°C to +125°C operating junction temperature range
Product DetailsThe ADP5304 is a high efficient, ultralow quiescent current step-down regulator that draws only 260 nA of quiescent current to regulate the output at no load.
The ADP5304 runs from an input voltage range of 2.15 V to 6.50 V, allowing the use of the multiple alkaline, NiMH, and Lithium cells, or the use of a high impedance power source. The output voltage is selectable from 0.8 V to 5.0 V by an external VID resistor to ground. The total solution requires only four tiny external components.
The ADP5304 operates in hysteresis mode via connecting the MODE pin to ground. In hysteresis mode, the regulator achieves excellent efficiency at a power of less than 1 mW and provides up to 50 mA of output load. The device enables very efficient power management to achieve the collection of small amounts of energy from the high impedance battery or the energy harvester to charge up the conventional capacitor or super capacitor.
The ADP5304 integrates an ultralow power comparator with a factory programmable voltage reference to monitor the voltage of the input power source. The voltage reference, with hysteresis, is the threshold for the stopping and starting of switching, allowing the use of the high impedance power source.
Other key features of the ADP5304 include separate enabling and an output discharge function (QOD). Safety features, such as overcurrent protection, thermal shutdown (TSD), and input undervoltage (UVLO), are also included.
The ADP5304 is available in 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP package rated for the −40°C to +125°C junction temperature range.Applications
- Energy (gas, water) metering
- Energy harvesting applications
- Portable and battery-powered equipment
- Medical applications
- Keep-alive power supply
Markets & Technology
- Vital Signs Measurements
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) Measurement
- Electroencephalogram (EEG) Measurement
- Non-Invasive Blood Pressure (NIBP)
- Respiration Rate Measurement
- Oxygen Saturation (SpO2) Measurement
- Disease Management & Wellness
- Portable Blood Analyzer
- Body Composition, Hydration, Bioimpedance Analysis
- Insulin Pump
- Activity Tracking & Fall Detection
- Wearable Health Monitor
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADP5304 is an ultralow power, synchronous step-down dc-to-dc regulator in a 10-lead LFCSP package. The ADP5304 runs from input voltages of 2.15 V to 6.50 V and requires minimal external components to provide a high efficiency solution with an integrated power switch, synchronous rectifier, and internal compensation.
The ADP5304 evaluation board with full bridge rectifier can support both an ac and dc voltage power source and regulate the input voltage as a maximum power point as the preset VINOK threshold.
The ADP5304 evaluation board provides an easy way to evaluate the device. This user guide describes how to quickly set up the board to collect performance data.
Complete information about the ADP5304 is available in the ADP5304 data sheet, which should be consulted in conjunction with this user guide when using the evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Ultralow quiescent current
- Input voltage monitoring
- Few external components and compact solution size
- AC and dc input source available
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.