Features and Benefits
- 3 kV rms isolated RS-485/RS-422 transceiver
- Low radiated emissions, integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter
- Passes EN 55032 Class B with margin on a 2-layer PCB
- Cable invert smart feature
- Correct reversed cable connection on A, B, Y, and Z bus pins while maintaining full receiver fail-safe feature
- ESD protection on RS-485 A, B, Y and Z pins
- ≥±12 kV IEC61000-4-2 contact discharge
- ≥±15 kV IEC61000-4-2 air discharge
- High speed 25 Mbps data rate (ADM2565E/ADM2567E)
- Low speed 500 kbps data rate for EMI control (ADM2561E/ADM2563E)
- Flexible power supplies
- Input VCC supply of 3 V to 5.5 V
- Logic VIO supply of 1.7 V to 5.5 V
- VSEL pin to select VISO supply of 5 V (VCC > 4.5 V) or 3.3 V
- PROFIBUS compliant for 5 V VISO
- Wide operating temperature range: −40°C to +105°C
- High common-mode transient immunity: 250 kV/µs
- Short-circuit, open-circuit, and floating input receiver fail-safe
- Supports 196 bus nodes (72 kΩ receiver input impedance)
- Full hot swap support (glitch free power-up/power-down)
- Safety and regulatory approvals (pending)
- CSA Component Acceptance Notice 5A, DIN V VDE V 0884-11, UL 1577, CQC11-471543-2012, IEC 61010-1
- Complies with ANSI/TIA/EIA-485-A-98 and ISO 8482:1987(E)
- 28-lead, fine pitch SOIC_W package (10.15 mm × 10.05 mm) with >8.0 mm creepage and clearance
The ADM2561E, ADM2563E, ADM2565E, and ADM2567E are 3 kV rms signal and power isolated RS-485 transceivers. These devices are designed for balanced transmission lines and comply with ANSI/TIA/EIA-485-A-98 and ISO 8482:1987(E). The devices pass radiated emissions testing to the EN 55032 Class B standard with margin on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) using two small external 0402 ferrites on isolated power and ground pins. The device features an integrated, low electro-magnetic interference (EMI), isolated dc-to-dc converter, which eliminates the need for an external isolated power supply. The isolation barrier provides immunity to system level electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) standards. The family of isolator devices features ±12 kV contact and ±15 kV air IEC61000-4-2 ESD protection on the RS-485 A, B, Y, and Z pins. The devices also features cable invert pins, allowing the user to quickly correct reversed cable connection on the A, B, Y, and Z bus pins while maintaining full receiver fail-safe performance.
Slew rate limited versions are available, which are optimized for low speed over long cable runs, and have a maximum data rate of 500 kbps. Half duplex and full duplex variants are available. The full duplex generics allow independent cable inversion of the driver and receiver for additional flexibility.
- Heating,ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) networks
- Industrial field buses
- Building automation
- Utility networks
- Energy meters
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM2565EEBZ and the EVAL-ADM2865EEBZ allow the simplified, efficient evaluation of the 3 kV rms ADM2565E and the 5.7 kV rms ADM2865E signal and power isolated, half-duplex RS-485 transceivers, respectively. The ADM2565E and the ADM2865E transceivers are available in a small footprint, 10.15 mm × 10.05 mm, 28-lead, small outline, wide body, with fine pitch (SOIC_W_FP) package.
The ADM2565E and the ADM2865E both feature an integrated, isolated, dc-to-dc converter that provides power to the isolated side of the device with no additional ICs required.
An on-board ADP7104 low dropout (LDO) regulator accepts an input voltage of 3.3 V to 20 V and regulates the voltage to a selectable 3.3 V or 5 V supply for the VCC pin of the ADM2565E and the ADM2865E. The LDO regulator can be bypassed to power the VCC pin of the ADM2565E and the ADM2865E directly.
A screw terminal connector on the evaluation boards allows connection to the flexible VIO logic supply pin of the ADM2565E and the ADM2865E. This connection allows the ADM2565E and the ADM2865E to operate with a digital input/output (I/O) voltage from 1.7 V to 5.5 V, which enables communication with nodes using either a 1.8 V or 2.5 V power supply. The VIO pin can also be supplied from the ADP7104 regulated supply.
Digital and RS-485 bus signals are easily accessible via the screw terminal connectors on each evaluation board. Each digital input can be configured via the on-board jumper options.
Alternative methods can provide the transmit data input (T×D) signal to the ADM2565E or the ADM2865E. An LTC6900 oscillator is included on each evaluation board and can be optionally configured to provide a clock signal for the T×D digital input within a 1 kHz to 12.5 MHz range. For optimal signal integrity, use the on-board Subminiature Version A (SMA) connector to connect an external data signal at high data rates up to 25 Mbps.
The EVAL-ADM2565EEBZ is populated with the ADM2565E 3 kV rms isolated RS-485 transceiver, and the EVAL-ADM2865EEBZ is populated with the ADM2865E 5.7 kV rms isolated RS-485 transceiver. The two evaluation boards differ only by the isolated RS-485 device populated on U3.
For full details on the ADM2565E or the ADM2865E, see the ADM2565E data sheet or the ADM2865E data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with the user guide when using the EVAL-ADM2565EEBZ or the EVAL-ADM2865EEBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Simplified evaluation of the ADM2565E and ADM2865E
- 25 Mbps half-duplex, isolated RS-485 transceivers
- 2-layer PCB compliant to EN 55032/CISPR 32 Class B radiated emissions
- Footprint for 10.15 mm × 10.05 mm, 28-lead SOIC_W_FP package with 8.3 mm creepage and clearance
- On-board ADP7104 LDO regulator with jumper options for simplified evaluation in 5 V or 3.3 V configuration
- Flexible, low voltage VIO supply rail for interfacing with I/O nodes as low as 1.7 V
- Selectable 3.3 V or 5 V isolated supply voltage options available
- ESD protection on the RS-485 A and B pins
- ≥±12 kV IEC 61000-4-2 contact discharge
- ≥±15 kV IEC 61000-4-2 air discharge
- SMA connector for high speed 25 Mbps TxD input signal
- Optional on-board LTC6900 oscillator for providing TxD signal
- Screw terminal blocks for connecting power, digital, and RS-485 signals
- Jumper selectable enable and disable for digital input signals
- Resistors and footprints for loopback test and termination
- Test points for measuring all signals
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.