Features and Benefits
- Radio frequency (RF) ranges
- 169.4 MHz to 169.6 MHz
- 426 MHz to 470 MHz
- 863 MHz to 960 MHz
- Data rates
- 2FSK/2GFSK: 0.1 kbps to 300 kbps
- 4FSK/4GFSK: 1 kbps to 360 kbps (transmit only)
- Dual power amplifiers (PAs)
- Programmable receiver channel bandwidth from 2.6 kHz to 406 kHz
- Receiver (Rx) performance
- Up to 97 dB blocking at ±20 MHz offset
- Up to 72 dB adjacent channel rejection
- −134.3 dBm sensitivity at 0.1 kbps
- −121.3 dBm sensitivity at 2.4 kbps
- Transmitter (Tx) performance
- −20 dBm to +17 dBm range with 0.1 dB step resolution
- Very low output power variation vs. temperature and supply
- Low active current
- 50 mA Tx current at 17 dBm
- 21.2 mA Rx current at12.5 kbps
- Ultralow sleep current
- 10 nA with memory retained
- Host microprocessor interface
- Easy to use programming serial peripheral interface (SPI)
- Configurable 8-bit general-purpose input/output (GPIO) bus
- On-chip ARM Cortex-M0 processor for
- Radio control and calibration
- Packet management
- Clear channel assessment (CCA)
- IEEE802.15.4g support
- Frame format
- Data whitening
- Dual-sync word detection
- Forward error correction (FEC) and interleaving
- Suitable for systems targeting compliance with
- ETSI EN 300 220-1
- EN 54-25, EN 13757-4
- FCC Part 15, Part 22, Part 24, Part 90, and Part 101
- ARIB STD-T30, STD-T67, STD-T108, STD-T96
- 6 mm × 6 mm, 40-lead LFCSP
- 7 mm × 7 mm, 48-lead LQFP
The ADF7030-1 is a fully integrated, radio transceiver achieving high performance at very low power. The ADF7030-1 is ideally suited for applications that require long range, network robustness, and long battery life. It is suitable for applications that operate in the ISM, SRD, and licensed frequency bands at 169.4 MHz to 169.6 MHz, 426 MHz to 470 MHz, and 863 MHz to 960 MHz. It provides extensive support for standards-based protocols like IEEE802.15.4g while also providing flexibility to support a wide range of proprietary protocols.
The highly configurable low intermediate frequency (IF) receiver supports a large range of receiver channel bandwidths from 2.6 kHz to 406 kHz. This range of receiver channel bandwidths allows the ADF7030-1 to support ultranarrow-band, narrow-band, and wideband channel spacing.
The ADF7030-1 features two independent PAs supporting output power ranges of −20 dBm to +13 dBm and −20 dBm to +17 dBm. The PAs support ultrafine adjustment of the power with a step resolution of 0.1 dB. The PA output power is exceptionally robust over temperature and voltage. The PAs have an automatic power ramp control to limit spectral splatter to meet regulatory standards.
The ADF7030-1 features an on-chip ARM® Cortex®-M0 processor that performs radio control, radio calibration, and packet management. Cortex-M0 eases the processing burden of the host processor because the ADF7030-1 integrates the lower layers of a typical communication protocol stack. This internal processor also permits the download and execution of Analog Devices, Inc., provided firmware modules that can extend the functionality of the ADF7030-1.
The ADF7030-1 has two packet modes: generic packet mode and IEEE802.15.4g mode. In generic packet mode, the packet format is highly flexible and fully programmable, thereby ensuring its compatibility with proprietary packet formats. In IEEE802.15.4g packet mode, the packet format conforms to the IEEE802.15.4g standard. FEC, as per the IEEE802.15.4g standard, is also supported.
The ADF7030-1 operates with a power supply range of 2.2 V to 3.6 V and has very low power consumption in both Tx and Rx modes, enabling long lifetimes in battery-operated systems. An ultralow power deep sleep mode achieves a typical current of 10 nA with the configuration memory retained.
A complete wireless solution can be built using a small number of external discrete components and a host processor (typically a microcontroller). The host processor can configure the ADF7030-1 using a simple command-based protocol over a standard 4-wire SPI interface. A single-byte command transitions the radio between states or performs a radio function.
The ADF7030-1 is available in two package types: a 6 mm × 6 mm, 40-lead LFCSP and a 7 mm × 7 mm, 48-lead LQFP. Both package types use NiPdAu plating to mitigate against silver migration in high humidity applications. The ADF7030-1 operating temperature range is −40°C to +85°C.
For Figure 13 to Figure 19, Figure 30, Figure 42, Figure 60, Figure 61, and Figure 75 in the Typical Performance Characteristics section, PA_COARSE is a programmable value that provides a coarse adjustment of the PA output power. This value can be programmed in the range of 1 to 6 for PA1, and from 1 to 10 for PA2. PA_FINE is a programmable value that provides a fine adjustment of the PA output power. This value can be programmed in the range of 3 to 127 for both PA1 and PA2. PA_MICRO is a programmable value that provides a microadjustment (typically <0.1 dB) of the PA output power. This value can be programmed in the range of 1 to 31 for both PA1 and PA2. PAOLDO_VOUT_CON is a programmable value that configures the internal LDO voltage that provides bias for the PA. For additional information on these bit settings, see the ADF7030-1 Software Reference Manual, which is the detailed programming guide for the device.
- IEEE 802.15.4g (MR-FSK PHY)
- Wireless M-Bus (EN 13757-4)
- Smart metering
- Security and building automation
- Active tag asset tracking
- Industrial control
- Wireless sensor networks (WSNs)
Markets and Technologies
This design package is a complete documentation and resource package for the ADF7030-1. It is recommended to download this package as a starting point for evaluation and development. It contains manuals, application notes, hardware information, and firmware modules. After download of the design package zip file, unzip the package and run the included .exe installer to install the design package.
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADF7030-1 EZ-KIT® is an evaluation and development system
for the ADF7030-1 high performance, sub-GHz, RF transceiver.
Four EZ-KIT models are available for the ADF7030-1, covering
various frequency ranges.
Each ADF7030-1 EZ-KIT allows fast and thorough evaluation of the ADF7030-1 radio and provides a platform for host processor code development using the ADuCM3029 EZ-KIT mother board (ADZS-UCM3029EZLITE).
The ADF7030-1 EZ-KIT consists of the following:
- RF daughter boards.
- Antennae for over the air packet error rate testing.
- ADuCM3029 EZ-KIT mother board and LCD shield for evaluation and development with the ADF7030-1. The ADF7030-1 daughter boards plug into this mother board.
- ADF7030-1 Design Center, a graphical user interface (GUI) for evaluation of the ADF7030-1. The GUI can be used for configuring the ADF7030-1, evaluating transmit and receive operation, and transmitting and receiving packets.
Software & Systems Requirements
Product Selection Guide (1)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (2)
Press Releases (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.