Application Notes (4)
- AN-1291: Digital Potentiometers: Frequently Asked Questions (pdf, 805 kB)
- AN-686: Implementing an I2C® Reset (pdf, 44 kB)
AN-582: Resolution Enhancements of Digital Potentiometers with Multiple Devices
(pdf, 135 kB)
Digital Potentiometers Can Be Paralleled, Stacked or Cascaded to Optimize Resolution.
- AN-580: 0: Programmable Oscillator Uses Digital Potentiometers (pdf, 52 kB)
Technical Articles (1)
Precision Programmable Current Sources Use Digital Pots
by Peter Khairolomour, Gary Leung, Alan Li, Analog Devices, Inc. (Design Brief, EDN, 3/31/2005)
Data Sheets (1)
Design Handbooks (1)
- Choosing the Correct digiPOT for Your Application (pdf, 431 kB)
- 6-Bit Controller
- Adjustable Current Source for Driving Multiple LEDs
- Adjustable Current Source for Driving Single LED
- Adjustable Voltage Source for Driving LED
- After the specified EEMEM data retention timeout period, can the power be turned off and back on so that the part is considered "refreshed"?
- Are ADI's digital potentiometers suitable for use in photodetector amplifiers and will they suffer from leakage currents which could affect the gain of the circuit?
- Are all digital potentiometers limited to |5V|?
- Are PB-free digital potentiometers available?
- Are there any evaluation boards for the digital potentiometers?
- Audio Amplifier Volume Control
- Audio Volume Control
- Automatic LED Brightness Control
- Bipolar DAC with EEPROM
- Bipolar Programmable Gain Amplifier
- Can a digipot be used to construct a programmable high current source?
- Can a digitally controlled variable resistor withstand greater than 20mA?
- Can digital potentiometers do log taper adjustment?
- Can I achieve a 15V signal swing when using a 5V digital potentiometer?
- Can I adjust the digital potentiometer for frequencies around 1MHz to 10MHz for adjusting the gain of a video signal?
- Can I cascade, serialize, or parallel multiple digital potentiometers to get the resistance or resolution I need? My requirement is for a 250 Ω digital potentiometer with approximately 1 Ω/step. I plan to use four 1 kΩ AD8403 in parallel with each set to nominally the same value.
- Can I program two channels of a multi-channel digital potentiometer at the same time?
- Can I read back the contents of the two RDAC registers of AD5242 or AD5282 (dual I2C compatible digital potentiometer)?
- Can I read back the wiper setting of the digital potentiometers?
- Can I use the new PB-free DigiPOTs in my traditional solder based PCB assembly process?
- Digital Feedthrough
- Do digital potentiometers handle bipolar and AC operations?
- Do you provide any software to control the digital potentiometers?
- Does the memory allow the device to return to the last stored value without an update from a micro?
- For a digital potentiometer that requires 12-bit word length, how can I control with only 8-bit word length from my micro?
- For a digital potentiometer that requires 6-bit word length, what happens if I have 8-bit word length from my PC?
- For digital potentiometers that do not have nonvolatile memory, what is the state during power up?
- For dual supply digital potentiometers, if VDD/VSS are +2.5V/-2.5V respectively, can digital inputs be fed from a standard 3.3V CMOS logic component without logic level translation? What are the logic level thresholds when VDD is +2.5V and VSS is -2.5V?
- High Power RGB LEDs Driver
- High Voltage DAC
- How do I daisy-chain multiple potentiometers? How does the serial interface work for multiple AD8403's when there are still only two address bits? Are there multiple /CS lines, one for each individual chip?
- How do I tell the end-to-end RAB resistance value?
- How good is the resistance matching between Ch1 and Ch2 in the dual digital potentiometer?
- How is the resistance matching device to device?
- How is the THD performance of digital potentiometer?
- How many write cycles can the EEMEM go through before it fails?
- I would like to know how the digital potentiometer is built. How ideal are the wiper switches?
- I'm unsure about how to use pin 13 write protect (/WP), pin 14 preset (/PR), and pin 16 ready (RDY)?
- If I program Ch 1 from zero to full scale, will I expect Ch 2 to be disturbed?
- If I use the digital potentiometer in a "dry" circuit (current through wiper < 1 pA), will it behave as a linear resistor in rheostat mode?
- If I use the digital potentiometer in audio volume control, will I experience zipper noise?
- Is digital potentiometer a real replacement for mechanical potentiometer or are there restrictions regarding voltage potentials?
- Is there a dependency between the logic level and power consumption?
- Is there a digital potentiometer controlled by a parallel input?
- Is there a particularly low-power digital potentiometer?
- Is there a power up sequence I should follow?
- Is there crosstalk between Ch1 and Ch2 of a dual digital potentiometer such that a sine wave applied to Ch1 will occur in Ch2 as well?
- Laser Bias and Modulation Current Biasing
- LCD Panel VCOM Adjustment
- Level Shifting Digital Inputs from 3.3V to 5V or Vice Versa
- Level Shifting Digital Signals from 0V to +5V to -5V to 0V
- Manual Push Button LED Driver
- Manual Rotary Control
- Multiple I2C Slave Devices Addressing
- Programmable 5-30V Power Supply
- Programmable Bidirectional Current Source
- Programmable Current-Sensing Amplifier
- Programmable LDO with Precision
- Programmable Low Pass Filter
- Programmable Oscillator
- Programmable State-Variable Filter
- Pseudo Memory Retention
- Regarding the spec on R-DNL, I am only concerned with relative adjustments. I'm not concerned with the actual value of the resistor in the digipot but need the digipot to be monotonic.
- Resolution Enhancement
- Voltage-to-Current Conversion
- What are the common failure modes of digital potentiometers?
- What is the ESD rating of digital potentiometers?
- What is the maximum current I can force into the digital potentiometer?
- What is the maximum frequency that can be applied to the digital potentiometer CLK input?
- What is the resistance tolerance of the digital potentiometers?
- What is the tempco of the digital potentiometer?
- What should I watch out for when I replace mechanical potentiometers with digital potentiometers?
- Why are some digital potentiometers' maximum operating temperature only 85°C instead of the standard 125°C?
- Why Should I replace mechanical potentiometers with digiPOT?
- Will the data in the EEMEM need to be refreshed after 15 yrs when it is operated at 55°C?
- Choosing the Correct digiPOT for Your Application (pdf, 431 kB)