SSM2529: Digital Input, Mono 2 W, Class-D Audio Power Amplifier Data Sheet (Rev. 0)7/31/2012804 kB
Features and Benefits
- Filterless mono, digital input Class-D amplifier
- I2C control interface
- Serial digital audio interface supports common formats (I2S, PCM, LJ, RJ, TDM1-16, PDM)
- Supports wide range of sample rates: 8.0 kHz to 96.0 kHz
- MCLK and BCLK can be provided by built-in phase-locked loop (PLL)
- Supports single power supply mode; DVDD can be provided by built-in low dropout (LDO) regulator
- 2.5 V to 5.5 V SPKVDD operating supply voltage
- 1.08 V to 1.98 V DVDD operating supply voltage
- Support off-chip volume control without I2C
- 2.4 W into 4 Ω and 1.4W into 8 Ω at 5V supply with <1% THD+N
- Available in a 16-ball, 1.92 mm × 1.94 mm, 0.4 mm pitchWLCSP
- Efficiency 95% at full scale into 8 Ω
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR): 103 dB, A-weighted
- Power supply rejection ratio (PSRR): >80 dB at 217 Hz
- Digital volume control: −70 dB to +24 dB in 0.375 dB steps
- Ultralow idle current
- Autosample rate detection
- Pop-and-click suppression
- Short-circuit and thermal protection with programmable autorecovery
- Supports smart power-down when no input signal is detected
- Power-on reset and UVLO voltage monitoring
- Selectable ultralow EMI emission mode
- Supports SPKVDD voltage monitor
- Digital audio processing
- 7-band programmable equalizer
- Programmable dynamic range compression (DRC) with noise gate, expander, compressor, and limiter
The SSM2529 is a digital input, Class-D power amplifier that combines a digital-to-analog converter (DAC), a low power audio specific digital signal processor, and a sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) Class-D modulator.
This unique architecture enables extremely low real-world power consumption from digital audio sources with excellent audio performance. The SSM2529 is ideal for power sensitive applications, such as mobile phones and portable media players, where system noise can the corrupt small analog signals that are sent to an analog input audio amplifier.
Using the SSM2529, audio data can be transmitted to the amplifier over a standard digital audio serial interface, thereby significantly reducing the effect of noise sources such as GSM interference or other digital signals on the transmitted audio. The closed-loop digital input design retains the benefits of an all-digital amplifier, yet enables very good PSRR and audio performance. The three-level, Σ-Δ Class-D modulator is designed to provide the least amount of EMI, the lowest quiescent power dissipation, and the highest audio efficiency without sacrificing audio quality.
The audio input is provided via a serial audio interface that can be programmed to accept all common audio formats, including I2S, TDM, and PDM. Control of the IC is provided via an I2C control interface. An alternative to I2C control is standalone operation mode, which allows several settings that are adjusted by off-chip external resistors. The SSM2529 can accept a variety of input MCLK frequencies and can use BCLK as the clock source in some configurations. An integrated PLL can also provide the device master clock.
The integrated DSP includes soft digital volume control circuits; a de-emphasis, high-pass filter; a seven-band programmable equalizer; and a programmable digital dynamic range compressor. In addition, the part includes a feedforward speaker temperature prediction module to protect the loudspeaker.
The SSM2529 supports single-supply mode, where DVDD is provided by the on-chip LDO regulator, eliminating the need for an external digital core supply.
The digital interface is very flexible and convenient. It can offer a better system solution for other products whose sole audio source is digital, such as wireless speakers, laptop PCs, portable digital televisions, and navigation systems.
The SSM2529 is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C. It has built-in thermal shutdown and output shortcircuit protection. It is available in a 16-ball, 1.92 mm × 1.94 mm wafer level chip scale package (WLCSP).
- Mobile phones
- Portable media players
- Laptop PCs
- Wireless speakers
- Portable gaming
- Navigation systems
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.