Features and Benefits
- Filterless digital input Class-D amplifier
- Standalone operation or I2C control
- Serial digital audio interface supports common formats: I2S, left justified, right justified, TDM1-16, and PCM
- 2.31 W into 4 Ω and 1.35 W into 8 Ω at 5 V supply with 1% THD + N
- Available in 12-ball 1.4 mm × 1.7 mm × 0.4 mm pitch WLCSP
- Efficiency 90% at full scale into 8 Ω
- 9 mW loaded idle power at 1.8 V/3.6 V
- SNR = 98 dB, A-weighted
- PSRR = 80 dB at 217 Hz, dither input
- Supports wide range of sample rates: 8.0 kHz to 48.0 kHz
- Autosample rate and MCLK rate detection
- No BCLK required for operation
- 2.5 V to 5.5 V PVDD speaker operating supply voltage
- 1.5 V to 3.6 V VDD operating voltage
- Pop and click suppression
- Short-circuit and thermal protection with autorecovery
- Smart power-down when no input signal detected
- Power-on reset
- Low EMI emissions
The SSM2519 is a digital input, Class-D power amplifier that combines a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) and a sigma-delta (Σ-Δ) Class-D modulator. This unique architecture enables extremely low, real-world power consumption from digital audio sources with excellent audio performance. The SSM2519 is ideal for power sensitive applications, such as mobile phones and portable media players, where system noise can corrupt small analog signals such as those sent to an analog input audio amplifier.
Using the SSM2519, audio data can be transmitted to the amplifier over a standard digital audio serial interface, thereby significantly reducing the effect of noise sources such as GSM interference or other digital signals on the transmitted audio. The closed-loop digital input design retains the benefits of a completely digital amplifier, yet enables very good PSRR and audio performance. The three-level, Σ-Δ Class-D modulator is designed to provide the least amount of EMI interference, the lowest quiescent power dissipation, and the highest audio efficiency without sacrificing audio quality.
Input is provided via a serial audio interface, programmable to accept all common audio formats including I2S, left justified (LJ), right justified (RJ), TDM, and PCM. The SSM2519 is designed to operate with or without a control interface such as I2C, which is typically required for this type of device. Several control pins offer selection of operation when I2C control is not used. The SSM2519 can accept a variety of input MCLK frequencies and can use BCLK as the clock source in some configurations. Both the input sample rate and MCLK rates are automatically detected.
The architecture of the SSM2519 provides a solution that offers lower power and higher performance than existing DAC plus Class-D solutions. Its digital interface also offers a better system solution for other products whose sole audio source is digital, such as wireless speakers, laptop PCs, portable digital televisions, and navigation systems.
The SSM2519 is specified over the industrial temperature range of −40C to +85C. It has built-in thermal shutdown and output short-circuit protection. It is available in a 12-ball, 1.4 mm × 1.7 mm wafer level chip scale package (WLCSP).
- Mobile phones
- Portable media players
- Laptop PCs
- Wireless speakers
- Portable gaming
- Navigation systems
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.