Features and Benefits
- Complete Single-Channel Optical Data Acquisition System
- Built-In Algorithm Further Enhances Rejection of Fast Ambient Transients
- Optimized Architecture for Reflective Heart Rate and SpO2 Monitoring
- Low Dark Current Noise of < 50pA RMS (Sample-to-Sample Variance)
- Lower Effective Dark Current Noise Achievable through Multiple Sample Modes and On-Chip Averaging
- High-Resolution 19-bit Charge Integrating ADC
- Three Low-Noise 8-Bit LED Current DACs
- Excellent Dynamic Range > 89dB in White Card Loop-Back Test (Sample-to-Sample Variance)
Excellent Ambient Range and Rejection Capability
- > 100μA Ambient Photodetector Current
- > 70dB Ambient Rejection at 120Hz
Ultra-Low-Power Operation for Wearable Devices
- Low-Power Operation, Optical Readout Channel < 10μA, Typical at 25sps
- Short Exposure Integration Period of 14.8μs, 29.4μs, 58.7μs, 117.3μs
- Low Shutdown Current = 1.6μA (typ)
- Miniature 2.9mm x 4.3mm x 1.4mm, 14-pin OLGA Package
- -40°C to +85°C Operating Temperature Range
The MAXM86161 is an ultra-low-power, completely integrated, optical data-acquisition system. On the transmitter side, the MAXM86161 has three programmable high-current LED drivers. On the receiver side, MAXM86161 consists of a high efficiency PIN photo-diode and an optical readout channel. The optical readout has a low-noise signal conditioning analog front-end (AFE), including 19-bit ADC, an industry-lead ambient light cancellation (ALC) circuit, and a picket fence detect and replace algorithm. Due to the low power consumption, compact size, easy, flexible-to-use, and industry lead ambient light rejection capability of the MAXM86161, the device is ideal for a wide variety of optical sensing applications such as heart rate detection and pulse oximetry.
The MAXM86161 operates on a 3.0V to 5.5V VLED single supply voltage. It supports a standard compatible interface and fully autonomous operation. Each device has a large 128-word built-in FIFO. The MAXM86161 is available in compact 2.9mm x 4.3mm x 1.4mm, 14-pin OLGA package.
- <!01>Optimized for In-Ear Applications
- <!02>Miniature Package for Mobile Applications
- <!03>Optimized Performance to Detect:
- <!04>Continuous Monitoring for HRV
- <!05>Optical Heart Rate
- <!06>Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAXM86161EVSYS# evaluation system (EV system) allows for the quick evaluation of the MAXM86161 integrated optical module for applications at various sites on the body, particularly in-ear and mobile applications. The MAXM86161 device communicates using a standard I2C-compatible interface to Maxim’s on-board MAX32664 Biometric Sensor Hub microcontroller (used for Maxim’s algorithm evaluation) or in a pass-through mode for raw data collection. The MAXM86161 device consists of three optical readout channels that can be individually controlled (Green, Red, and IR). The EV system allows for flexible configurations to allow testing of various features of the sensor. Moreover, it helps the user quickly learn how to configure and use the MAXM86161 device.
The primary EV system consists of two circuit board assemblies (MAXSensorBLE_EVKIT and MAXM86161OSBFLEX), one USB-C to USB-A connector cable, and a Lithium Polymer battery. These components are highlighted in Figure 1 below. In addition, two programming circuit boards (MAXM86161_MAX32630_ PRGMR_ASSY, and the MAXREFDES100HDK) and one USB-B Micro-to-USB-A Male USB cable are provided for firmware updates if needed.
The EV system can be powered using a USB-C supply or LiPo Battery and comes with a MAXM86161EFD+ device in a 14-pin OLGA package.
The MAXM86161OSBFLEX Flex-Rigid circuit board has a Maxim Integrated MAX32664 Biometric Sensor Hub microcontroller device installed. This Sensor Hub can be used to implement Maxim’s HR/SpO2 Algorithm for evaluation. The MAXM86161 GUI PC application code that allows evaluation of both the MAXM86161EVSYS# and the MAX32664 Sensor Hub is available in the MAXM86161EVSYS# EV System Design Resources tab.
- Continuous Monitoring for HRV
- Miniature Package for Mobile Applications
- Optical Heart Rate
- Optimized for In-Ear Applications
- Optimized Performance to Detect:
- Oxygen Saturation (SpO2)
Features & Benefits
- Performance Evaluation of the MAXM86161 Sensor (e.g., SNR, Dark Current, Noise, etc.)
- Performance Evaluation of Maxim Algorithms for Power Optimization, Heart Rate (HR), SpO2 (Peripheral Capillary Oxygen Saturation), etc. Using the On-Board MAX32664GWEC+ Biometric Sensor Hub Microcontroller
- Facilitates Understanding of MAXM86161 Architecture and Solution Strategy
- Real-Time Monitoring and Data Logging Capabilities
- On-Board Accelerometer
- Bluetooth® LE for wireless data collection
Documentation & Resources
MAXM86161 Reliability Data10/10/202296K
A Guideline to Select the Right Low-Power PMIC Solution for Personal Pulse5/27/2021
Wearable Optical Measurement Solution Based on the MAX326643/11/2021
Guidelines for the Opto-Mechanical Integration of Heart-Rate Monitors in Wearable Earbud Devices8/26/2019
Track Your Heart Rate While You Listen to Your Favorite Track7/19/2019
Guidelines for SpO2 Measurement3/26/2019
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.