Features and Benefits
- Precision 4.65V Voltage Monitoring
- 200ms Power-OK/Reset Time Delay
- Independent Watchdog Timer-Preset or Adjustable
- 1µA Standby Current
- Power Switching
- 250mA Output in VCC Mode
- 25mA Output in Battery-Backup Mode
- On-Board Gating of Chip-Enable Signals
- Memory Write-Cycle Completion
- 6ns CE Gate Propagation Delay
- MaxCap™ or SuperCap™ Compatible
- Voltage Monitor for Power-Fail or Low-Battery Warning
- Backup-Battery Monitor
- Guaranteed RESET-bar Valid to VCC = 1V
The MAX791 microprocessor (µP) supervisory circuit reduces the complexity and number of components needed to monitor power-supply and battery-control functions in µP systems. The 50µA supply current makes the MAX791 ideal for use in portable equipment, while the 6ns chip-enable propagation delay and 250mA output capability (25mA in battery-backup mode) make it suitable for larger, higher-performance equipment.
The MAX791 comes in 16-pin DIP and narrow SO packages and provides the following functions:
- µP reset-RESET-bar output is asserted during power-up, power-down, and brownout conditions, and is guaranteed to be in the correct state for VCC down to 1V, even with no battery in the circuit.
- Manual-reset input.
- A 1.25V threshold detector provides for power-fail warning and low-battery detection, or monitors a power supply other than +5V.
- Two-stage power-fail warning-a separate low-line comparator compares VCC to a threshold 150mV above the reset threshold.
- Backup-battery switchover for CMOS RAM, real-time clocks, µPs, or other low-power logic.
- Software monitoring of backup-battery voltage.
- A watchdog-fault output is asserted if the watchdog input has not been toggled within either a preset or an adjustable timeout period.
- Write protection of CMOS RAM or EEPROM.
- Pulsed watchdog output, to give advance warning of impending WDO-bar assertion caused by watchdog timeout.
- Computers: Desktop, Workstation, Server
- Critical µP Monitoring
- Intelligent Instruments
- Portable Battery-Powered Equipment
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
MAX791 Reliability Data1/12/2023
MAX791 Companion Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.View our quality and reliability program and certifications for more information.
|Part Number||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Pin/Package Drawing||CAD Symbols, Footprints & 3D Models|
|MAX791CPE+||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Plastic Dual-In-Line, Narrow (0.3in)|
|MAX791CSE+||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||16-SOIC_N-150_MIL|
|MAX791CSE+T||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||16-SOIC_N-150_MIL|
|MAX791EPE+||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Plastic Dual-In-Line, Narrow (0.3in)|
|MAX791ESE+||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||16-SOIC_N-150_MIL|
|MAX791ESE+T||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||16-SOIC_N-150_MIL|
|MAX791MJE||Material Declaration||Reliability Data||Ceramic Dual-In-Line, Narrow (0.3in)|
|Wafer Fabrication Data||MAX791 Reliability Data|
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.