Features and Benefits
- High-Efficiency Single-Cell Switching Charger
- Up to 5.5A Charging with MAX77986
- Up to 3.5A Charging with MAX77985
- 92% Buck Efficiency at 4A, 12V Input
- 92% Charging Efficiency at 3.5A, 9V Input
- Optimized for High Voltage Input Operation
- Accelerate Charge Time by Monitoring Kelvin Sensing Battery Voltage
- Up to 5.5A Input Current Limit with AICL (MAX77986)
- Up to 3.5A Input Current Limit with AICL (MAX77985)
- +28V Absolute Maximum Input Voltage Rating
- 4.7V to 19V Input Operating Voltage Range
- Reverse Boost with Programmable Output Voltage Options up to 12V
- Up to 18W for MAX77986
- Up to 12W for MAX77985
- Battery Temperature Sensing and Charge Safety Timer
- JEITA Guideline Compliant
- Thermal Regulation and Thermal Shutdown
- System Voltage OVLO/UVLO
- Integrated Battery True-Disconnect FET
- RDSON = 7.7mΩ
- Programmable Discharge Current Limit up to 10A
- Support Shipping Mode and Low Battery Leakage Current
- 1.3MHz/2.6MHz Switching Frequency with 1μH/0.47μH Inductor
- Disconnect Input (DISQBAT)
- Spread Spectrum for Noise Sensitive Applications
- Programmable Unplug Detection for 9V and 15V Sources
- Charge Status Output for LED
- Push-Button Input for Exiting from Ship Mode
- External Discharge FET Enable Output
- Dedicated Input for Suspend Mode (SUSPND)
- I2C Interface
- 4mm x 4mm FC2QFN
The MAX77985/MAX77986 is a high-performance high input range 3.5/5.5A fast charger with Smart Power SelectorTM. The IC can operate as a reverse boost without an additional inductor, allowing the battery to share its power through the charging port with voltage programmable from 5V to 12V. The device features fully integrated low-loss power switches to provide a small solution size and high efficiency, even at high input voltage and high charging current. Its high switching frequency allows the use of a smaller sized inductor. Li-ion, Li-polymer, and LiFePO4 battery chemistries are supported. The IC is compatible with USB Power Delivery sources with input current capability up to 5A. It can also provide fast unplug detection of 9V and 15V sources for dynamic management of system load. The IC also helps mitigate EMI with the spread spectrum feature. The IC features true load disconnection in reverse boost mode and has an adjustable output current protection limit. The device is highly flexible and programmable through I2C configuration.
The battery charger includes a Smart Power Selector to accommodate a wide range of battery sizes and system loads. The Smart Power Selector allows the system to start up gracefully as soon as an input source is available, even when the battery is deeply discharged (dead battery) or missing. It can be configured so that when power is applied to the charger input, the battery charging can automatically start.
- Gaming Devices
- VR Applications
- Tablet PCs
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.