MAX2992: G3-PLC MAC/PHY Powerline Transceiver Data Sheet (Rev. 1)5/4/2014835K
Features and Benefits
- G3-PLC Compliant
- Prestandard Conformance: IEEE® P1901.2, ITU G.9903
- Frequency-Band Compliant with CENELEC, FCC, and ARIB
- Operating Frequency from 10kHz to 490kHz
- Single-Chip Solution Integrating Physical Layer (PHY) and Media Access Controller (MAC)
- Two UART and Two SPI Interfaces
- Supports IPV6-Compatible Networking Layer
- 6LoWPAN IPV6 Header Compression Maximizes Payload Size
- Dynamic Routing Mechanism Supports Mesh Networking
- CSMA/CA (Carrier Sense Multiple Access with Collision Avoidance/Channel Access)
- High-Speed, Reliable Communication
- Data Rate of up to 300kbps
- Two Layers of Forward Error Correction (FEC) and Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC16)
- Enhanced FEC with Reed-Solomon and Viterbi
- CCM Authentication Coprocessor featuring AES-128 Encryption/Decryption
- Automatic Repeat Request (ARQ) Enhances Error Detection and Data Reliability
- Dynamic Link Adaptation to Select Optimum Data Rate Based on Channel Condition
- Programmable Tone Notching
- AEC-Q100 Automotive Qualified
The MAX2992 powerline communication (PLC) baseband modem delivers half-duplex, asynchronous data communication over AC power lines at speeds up to 300kbps (full FCC band data rate). The MAX2992 is a system-on-chip (SoC) that combines the physical (PHY) and media access control (MAC) layers using Maxim's 32-bit MAXQ30 microcontroller core. The MAX2991 integrated analog front-end transceiver interfaces seamlessly with the MAX2992, and together with the MAX2992 G3-PLC™ firmware, forms a complete G3-PLC-compliant modem solution.
The MAX2992 utilizes OFDM techniques with DBPSK, DQPSK, D8PSK modulation and forward error correction (FEC) to enable robust data communication using the electrical power grid. The design provides inherent adaptability to frequency selective channels, robustness in the presence of group delay, and immunity to impulsive noise. To allow for regulatory compliance, the MAX2992 incorporates a programmable tone notching mechanism. This allows the notching of certain frequency bands in the transmit spectrum of the modem. This feature also provides an alternative method to address coexistence with other narrowband transmitters such as legacy FSK-based PLC systems.
The MAX2992 MAC incorporates a 6LoWPAN adaptation layer to support IPv6 packets. An enhanced CSMA/CA and ARQ, together with the mesh routing protocol, supports all common MAC layer services for various network topologies. Intelligent communication mechanisms adapt and enhance system performance over a range of channel conditions. These mechanisms include channel estimation, adaptive tone mapping, and routing protocols. An on-chip CCM (an extension of CCM specified in IEEE® 802.15.4) authentication coprocessor with AES-128 encryption/decryption provides security and authentication.
- Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI)
- AMI Concentrators
- Building Automation
- Electronic Vehicle Charging
- Home Energy Monitoring
- Smart Grid Communications
- Smart Meters
- Solar and Renewable Energy Management
- Street Lighting Automation
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Documentation & Resources
MAX2992 Reliability Data1/12/202325K
An Overview, History, and Formation of IEEE P1901.2 for Narrowband OFDM PLC7/2/2013
Achieving Significant Power from Renewables3/22/2013
Adding Intelligence to LED Lighting3/22/2013
Stuxnet and Other Things that Go Bump in the Night10/23/2012
Mesh Networking Extends a PLC Network to Thousands of Meters10/16/2012
G3-PLC Technology Finally Makes Charging an Electric Vehicle Smart4/3/2012
Powerline Communications for Street Lighting Automation3/27/2012
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.