Features and Benefits
- Multiple Functions for Small Size
- Operating VIN Range of 3V to 36V
- 10µA Quiescent Current in Skip Mode
- Synchronous DC-DC Converter with Integrated FETs
- 400kHz, 2.1MHz, and 3MHz Fixed Frequency Options
- Fixed 2.5ms Internal Soft-Start
- Programmable 0.8V to 10V Output, or Fixed-OutputVoltages of 3.3V, 3.9V, 4.2V, and 5.0V
- Other Fixed-Output Options Available between 2.9Vto 6V in 100mV Steps
- 3.5mm x 3.75mm, 17-Pin and 15-Pin FC2QFN
- Symmetrical package offers superior EMI performance
- Dual-Phase Capablity
- Can be used in Dual-Phase Configuration for High Power Design
- Dynamic Current Sharing through Shared VEA Pin
- Low-IQ Operation Capability in Dual Phase
- High Precision
- ±1% Output-Voltage Accuracy in FPWM Mode at No Load
- Precise Output Voltage Monitoring with PGOOD
- Robust for the Automotive Environment
- Forced-PWM and Skip Mode Operation
- 99% Duty-Cycle Operation with Low Dropout
- Overtemperature and Short-Circuit Protection
- -40°C to +125°C Junction Operating Temperature Range
- 42V Load-Dump Tolerant
- AEC-Q100 Qualified
The MAX20404/MAX20405/MAX20406/MAX20406E ICs are tiny synchronous buck converters with integrated high-side and low-side switches. The ICs are designed to deliver up to 6A with wide input voltages range from 3V to 36V. Voltage quality can be monitored by observing the PGOOD signal. The MAX20404/MAX20405/MAX20406/MAX20406E can operate in dropout by running at 99% duty cycle making it ideal for automotive and industrial applications.
The MAX20404/MAX20405/MAX20406/MAX20406E offer programmable or fixed output voltages of 5V and 3.3V. Frequency is internally fixed at 2.1MHz (or 400KHz or 3MHz) which allows for small external components, reduced output ripple, and guarantees no AM interference. MAX20404/MAX20405/MAX20406/MAX20406E automatically enter skip mode at light loads with ultra-low quiescent current of 10µA at no load. This family of products (including the MAX20408/10) offers a pin-to-pin compatible offering from 4A to 10A in a single-phase configuration, and up to 20A in a dual-phase configuration. This devices have also been optimized for dual-phase operation with very high current sharing accuracy. These devices can be ordered with spread-spectrum frequency modulation designed to minimize EMI-radiated emissions due to the modulation frequency.
The MAX20404/MAX20405/MAX20406/MAX20406E are available in a small 3.5mm x 3.75mm 17-pin FC2QFN package and uses very few external components.
- Infotainment Systems
- ADAS and Other Safety-Critical Applications
- High-Voltage DC-DC Converters
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The MAX20406 evaluation kit (EV kit) provides a proven design to evaluate the MAX20406 automotive 2.1MHz synchronous buck converter with 10µA quiescent current. The standard EV kit PCB comes with a MAX20406AFOB/ VY+ (2.1MHz, 3.3V) installed, as well as various test points and jumpers for evaluation. The EV kit output voltage is fixed and easily configured with minimum component changes. The default EV kit is designed to deliver up to 6A with input voltage 3V to 36V. Output voltage quality can be monitored by observing the PGOOD signal. The MAX20406 EV kit can also be used to evaluate the MAX20404 and MAX20405.
- Automotive ADAS and other safety critical applications
- Automotive Infotainment Systems
- High-Voltage DC-DC Converters
Features & Benefits
- Input Supply Range from 3V to 36V
- Output Voltage: 3.3V/5V Fixed and Adjustable from 0.8 to 10V
- Delivers up to 6A
- Frequency - Synchronization Input
- Enable Input
- Spread Spectrum Available
- Voltage Monitoring PGOOD Output Available
- Proven PCB Layout
- Fully Assembled and Tested
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
EE-Sim Power® Tools
The EE-Sim DC-DC Converter Tool uses your requirements to quickly create a complete power design including a schematic, BOM with commercially available parts, and time and frequency domain simulations. Your customized schematic can be downloaded for further analysis in the standalone EE-Sim OASIS Simulator, featuring SIMPLIS and SIMetrix SPICE engines.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Please see the latest communication from our CCO regarding lead times.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.