Features and Benefits
- Ideal Diode and Inrush Current Control for Redundant Supplies
- Low Loss Replacement for Power Schottky Diode
- Protects Output Voltage from Input Brownouts
- Allows Safe Hot Swapping from a Live Backplane
- 2.9V to 18V Operating Range
- Controls Back-to-Back N-Channel MOSFETs
- Limits Peak Fault Current in ≤1μs
- Adjustable Current Limit with Foldback
- Adjustable Start-Up and Current Limit Fault Delay
- 0.5μs Ideal Diode Turn-On and Turn-Off Time
- Undervoltage and Overvoltage Protection
- Status, Fault and Power Good Outputs
- Pin Selectable Latch Off or Automatic Retry After Fault
- 24-Lead 4mm × 5mm QFN and SSOP Packages
The LTC4229 offers ideal diode and Hot Swap™ functions for a power rail by controlling two external N-channel MOSFETs. The MOSFET acting as an ideal diode replaces a high power Schottky diode and the associated heat sink, saving power and board area. The Hot Swap MOSFET control allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane by limiting inrush current. The supply output is also protected against short-circuit faults with a fast acting foldback current limit and electronic circuit breaker.
The LTC4229 regulates the forward voltage drop across the external MOSFET to ensure smooth current transfer in diode-OR applications. The ideal diode turns on quickly to reduce the load voltage droop during supply switchover. If the input supply fails or is shorted, a fast turn-off minimizes reverse-current transients.
The LTC4229 provides adjustable start-up delay, undervoltage and overvoltage protection, and reports fault and power good status for the supply. It can be configured for latch off or automatic retry after a fault.
- Redundant Power Supplies
- Supply Holdup
- High Availability Systems and Servers
- Telecom and Network Infrastructure
- Power Prioritizer
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.