Features and Benefits
- Allows Safe Board Insertion and Removal from a Live Backplane
- Controls Supply Voltages from 2.5V to 16.5V
- Programmable Soft-Start with Inrush Current Limiting, No External Gate Capacitor Required
- Faster Turn-Off Time Because No External Gate Capacitor is Required
- Dual Level Overcurrent Fault Protection
- Programmable Response Time for Overcurrent Protection (MS)
- Programmable Overvoltage Protection (MS)
- Automatic Retry or Latched Mode Operation (MS)
- High Side Drive for an External N-Channel FET
- User-Programmable Supply Voltage Power-Up Rate
- FB Pin Monitors VOUT and Signals RESET
- Glitch Filter Protects Against Spurious RESET Signal
The LTC4211 is a Hot Swap controller that allows a board to be safely inserted and removed from a live backplane. An internal highside switch driver controls the gate of an external N-channel MOSFET for supply voltages ranging from 2.5V to 16.5V. The LTC4211 provides soft-start and in rush current limiting during the start-up period which has a programmable duration.
Two on-chip current limit comparators provide dual level overcurrent circuit breaker protection. The slow comparator trips at VCC – 50mV and activates in 20µs (or programmed by an external filter capacitor, MS only). The fast comparator trips at VCC – 150mV and typically responds in 300ns.
The FB pin monitors the output supply voltage and signals the RESET output pin. The ON pin signal turns the chip on and off and can also be used for the reset function. The MS package has FAULT and FILTER pins to provide additional functions like fault indication, autoretry or latch-off modes, programmable current limit response time and programmable overvoltage protection using an external Zener diode clamp.
- Electronic Circuit Breaker
- Hot Board Insertion and Removal (Either On Backplane or On Removable Card)
- Industrial High Side Switch/Circuit Breaker
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
Demonstration circuit 536B is a hot swap controller with multifunction current control featuring the LTC4211. The DC536B-A is configured to operate with up to 7A load and DC536B-B up to 20A load.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
To launch ready-to-run LTspice demonstration circuits for this part:
Step 1: Download and install LTspice on your computer.
Step 2: Click on the link in the section below to download a demonstration circuit.
Step 3: If LTspice does not automatically open after clicking the link below, you can instead run the simulation by right clicking on the link and selecting “Save Target As.” After saving the file to your computer, start LTspice and open the demonstration circuit by selecting ‘Open’ from the ‘File’ menu.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.