Features and Benefits
- Charge Current Programmable up to 250mA with 5% Accuracy
- Complete Linear Charger in 2mm × 2mm DFN Package
- C/10 Charge Current Detection Output
- Timer Termination
- No External MOSFET, Sense Resistor or Blocking Diode Required
- Preset Float Voltage with 0.6% Accuracy:
- 4.2V for LTC4065L/LTC4065LX
- 4.1V for LTC4065L-4.1/LTC4065LX-4.1
- Constant-Current/Constant-Voltage Operation with Thermal Feedback to Maximize Charging Rate Without Risk of Overheating
- Charge Current Monitor Output for Gas Gauging
- Automatic Recharge
- Charges Single Cell Li-Ion Batteries Directly from USB Port
- 20µA Supply Current in Shutdown Mode
- Available Without Trickle Charge (LTC4065LX/ LTC4065LX-4.1)
- Tiny 6-Lead (2mm × 2mm) DFN Package
The LTC4065L is a complete constant-current/constant-voltage linear charger for single-cell lithium-ion batteries. Its small size and ability to accurately regulate low charge currents make the LTC4065L especially well-suited for portable applications using low capacity rechargeable lithium-ion cells. Furthermore, LTC4065L is specifically designed to work within USB power specifications.
The CHRG pin indicates when charge current has dropped to ten percent of its programmed value (C/10). An internal timer terminates charging according to battery manufacturer specifications.
The LTC4065L-4.1/LTC4065LX-4.1 features a constant-voltage float voltage of 4.1V. This 4.1V version of the standard LTC4065L/LTC4065LX is intended for back-up or high ambient temperature applications. Under these conditions, a reduced float voltage will trade-off initial cell capacity for the benefit of increased capacity retention over the life of the battery. A reduced float voltage also minimizes swelling in prismatic and polymer cells.
When the input supply (wall adapter or USB supply) is removed, the LTC4065L automatically enters a low current state, dropping battery drain current to less than 1µA. With power applied, LTC4065L can be put into shutdown mode, reducing the supply current to less than 20µA.
The full-featured LTC4065L also includes automatic recharge, low-battery charge conditioning (trickle charging) and soft-start (to limit inrush current).
|Float Voltage (V)||Charge Current Range||Pin 5 Is EN or ACPR?||Trickle Charge?|
|LTC4065||4.2V||40mA to 750mA||EN||Yes|
|LTC4065A||4.2V||40mA to 750mA||ACPR||Yes|
|LTC4065-4.4||4.4V||40mA to 750mA||EN||Yes|
|LTC4065L||4.2V||8mA to 250mA||EN||Yes|
|LTC4065LX||4.2V||8mA to 250mA||EN||No|
|LTC4065L-4.1||4.1V||8mA to 250mA||EN||Yes|
- Charger for Li-Ion Coin Cell Batteries
- Portable MP3 Players, Wireless Headsets
- Bluetooth Applications
- Multifunction Wristwatches
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.