Features and Benefits
- High Power Switching Regulator Controller for 3.3V-5V to 1.xV-3.xV Step-Down Applications
- No Current Sense Resistor Required
- Low Input Supply Voltage Range: 3V to 8V
- Maximum Duty Cycle >91% Over Temperature
- All N-Channel External MOSFETs
- Excellent Output Regulation: ±1% Over Line, Load and Temperature Variations
- High Efficiency: Over 95% Possible
- Adjustable or Fixed 3.3V Output (16-Pin Version)
- Programmable Fixed Frequency Operation: 100kHz to 500kHz
- External Clock Synchronization
- Soft-Start (16-Pin Version and LTC3830-1)
- Low Shutdown Current: <10µA
- Overtemperature Protection
- Available in S8, S16 and SSOP-16 Packages
The LTC3830/LTC3830-1 are high power, high efficiency switching regulator controllers optimized for 3.3V-5V to 1.xV-3.xV step-down applications. A precision internal reference and feedback system provide ±1% output regulation over temperature, load current and line voltage variations. The LTC3830/LTC3830-1 use a synchronous switching architecture with N-channel MOSFETs. Additionally, the chip senses output current through the drain-source resistance of the upper N-channel FET, providing an adjustable current limit without a current sense resistor.
The LTC3830/LTC3830-1 operate with an input supply voltage as low as 3V and with a maximum duty cycle of >91% over temperature. They include a fixed frequency PWM oscillator for low output ripple operation. The 200kHz free-running clock frequency can be externally adjusted or synchronized with an external signal from 100kHz to 500kHz. In shutdown mode, the LTC3830 supply current drops to <10µA. The LTC3830-1 differs from the LTC3830 S8 version by replacing shutdown with a soft-start function.
For a similar, pin compatible DC/DC converter with an output voltage as low as 0.6V, please refer to the LTC3832.
- CPU Power Supplies
- Multiple Logic Supply Generator
- Distributed Power Applications
- High Efficiency Power Conversion
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (2)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.