Features and Benefits
- Charges Single-Cell Li-Ion Battery from Wall Adapter and USB Inputs
- Automatic Input Power Detection and Selection
- Charge Current Programmable Up to 950mA from Wall Adapter Input
- Adjustable Output, High Efﬁciency 600mA Synchronous DC/DC Converter
- No External MOSFET, Sense Resistor or Blocking Diode Needed
- Thermal Regulation Maximizes Charge Rate Without Risk of Overheating*
- Preset Charge Voltage with ±0.6% Accuracy
- Programmable Charge Current Termination
- 1.5MHz Constant Frequency Operation (Step-Down Converter)
- 18μA USB Suspend Current in Shutdown
- “Power Present” Status Output
- Charge Status Output
- Automatic Recharge
- Available in a Thermally Enhanced, Low Proﬁle (0.75mm) 16-Lead (5mm × 3mm) DFN Package
The LTC3550 is a standalone linear charger with a 600mA monolithic synchronous buck converter. It is capable of charging a single-cell Li-Ion battery from both wall adapter and USB inputs. The charger automatically selects the appropriate power source for charging.
Internal thermal feedback regulates the battery charge current to maintain a constant die temperature during high power operation or high ambient temperature conditions. The ﬂoat voltage is ﬁxed at 4.2V and the charge currents are programmed with external resistors. The LTC3550 terminates the charge cycle when the charge current drops below the programmed termination threshold after the ﬁnal ﬂoat voltage is reached. With power applied to both inputs, the LTC3550 can be put into shutdown mode reducing the DCIN supply current to 20μA, the USBIN supply current to 10μA, and the battery drain current to less than 2μA.
The DC/DC converter switching frequency is internally set at 1.5MHz, allowing the use of small surface mount inductors and capacitors.
- Cellular Telephones
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTC3550 Companion Parts
Recommended Related Parts
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.