Features and Benefits
- Silent Switcher® Architecture
- Ultralow EMI Emissions
- Spread Spectrum Frequency Modulation
- High Efficiency at High Frequency
- Up to 96% Efficiency at 1MHz, 12VIN to 5VOUT
- Up to 95% Efficiency at 2MHz, 12VIN to 5VOUT
- Wide Input Voltage Range: 3.4V to 42V
- 5A Maximum Continuous, 8A Peak Transient Output
- Ultralow Quiescent Current Burst Mode® Operation
- 2.5μA IQ Regulating 12VIN to 3.3VOUT
- Output Ripple < 10mVP-P
- Fast Minimum Switch On-Time: 30ns
- Low Dropout Under All Conditions: 100mV at 1A
- Available in Fixed 3.3V Output
- Forced Continuous Mode
- Safely Tolerates High Reverse Current
- Adjustable and Synchronizable: 200kHz to 3MHz
- Peak Current Mode Operation
- Output Soft-Start and Tracking
- Small 18-Lead 3mm × 4mm Side Solderable QFN with Improved Solder Joint Reliability
- AEC-Q100 Qualified for Automotive Applications
The LT8640A step-down regulator features Silent Switcher architecture designed to minimize EMI emissions while delivering high efficiency at frequencies up to 3MHz. An ultralow 2.5μA quiescent current—with the output in full regulation—enables applications requiring highest efficiency at very small load currents.
The LT8640A allows high VIN to low VOUT conversion at high frequency with a fast minimum top switch on-time of 30ns. The SYNC/MODE pin selects between Burst Mode operation, spread spectrum mode, synchronization to an external clock, and forced continuous mode.
- Automotive and Industrial Supplies
- General Purpose Step-Down
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
LTpowerCAD® is a power supply design program which selects power stage components, provides detailed power efficiency, shows quick loop Bode plot stability and load transient analysis, and can export to LTspice for simulation.
Design tools for the following parts are available in LTpowerCAD:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.