Features and Benefits
- Accurate Output Current Programming
- Usable in Charging Applications Up to 32V Output
- Programmable Load Current Monitor for End-of-Charging-Cycle Notification (16-Pin Version)
- Dual Function IC (LT1621) Allows Convenient Integration of Load and Input Current Sensing
- Level-Shifted Current Sense Output for Current Mode PWM Controllers
- Can be Used for NiCd, NiMH, Lead-Acid and Lithium-Ion Battery Charging
- Greater than 96% Efficiency Possible in Charger Applications
- High Output Currents Possible: > 10A Easily Obtained
The LT1620 simplifies the design of high performance, controlled current battery charging circuits when used in conjunction with a current mode PWM controller IC.
The LT1620 regulates average output current independent of input and output voltage variations. Output current can be easily adjusted via a programming voltage applied to the LT1620’s PROG pin.
Most current mode PWM controllers have limited output voltage range because of common mode limitations on the current sense inputs. The LT1620 overcomes this restriction by providing a level-shifted current sense signal, allowing a 0V to 32V output voltage range.
The 16-pin version of the LT1620 contains a programmable low charging current flag output. This output flag can be used to signal when a Li-Ion battery charging cycle is nearing completion.
The LT1621 incorporates two fully independent current control circuits for dual loop applications.
- High Current Battery Chargers
- High Output Voltage DC/DC Converters
- Constant Current Sources
- Overcurrent Fault Protectors
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
Technical Articles (3)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.