Features and Benefits
- Supply Current: 530µA Max
- Meets IEC 1000-4-2 Level 4 (±15kV) ESD Tests with Two External 5k Resistors
- Single Gain Set Resistor: G = 1 to 10,000
- Gain Error: G = 10, 0.4% Max
- Input Offset Voltage Drift: 0.3µV/°C Max
- Gain Nonlinearity: G = 10, 20ppm Max
- Input Offset Voltage: 40µV Max
- Input Bias Current: 250pA Max
- PSRR at AV =1: 103dB Min
- CMRR at AV = 1: 90dB Min
- Wide Supply Range: ±2.3V to ±18V
- 1kHz Voltage Noise: 10nV/√Hz
- 0.1Hz to 10Hz Noise: 0.28µVP-P
- Available in 8-Pin PDIP and SO Packages
Product DetailsThe LT1168 is a micropower, precision instrumentation amplifier that requires only one external resistor to set gains of 1 to 10,000. The low voltage noise of 10nV/√Hz (at 1kHz) is not compromised by low power dissipation (350µA typical for ±15V supplies). The wide supply range of ±2.3V to ±18V allows the LT1168 to fit into a wide variety of industrial as well as battery-powered applications.
The high accuracy of the LT1168 is due to a 20ppm maximum nonlinearity and 0.4% max gain error (G = 10). Previous monolithic instrumentation amps cannot handle a 2k load resistor whereas the nonlinearity of the LT1168 is specified for loads as low as 2k. The LT1168 is laser trimmed for very low input offset voltage (40µV max), drift (0.3µV/°C), high CMRR (90dB, G = 1) and PSRR (103dB, G = 1). Low input bias currents of 250pA max are achieved with the use of superbeta processing. The output can handle capacitive loads up to 1000pF in any gain configuration while the inputs are ESD protected up to 13kV (human body). The LT1168 with two external 5k resistors passes the IEC 1000-4-2 level 4 specification.
The LT1168 is a pin-for-pin improved second source for the AD620 and INA118. The LT1168, offered in 8-pin PDIP and SO packages, requires significantly less PC board area than discrete op amp resistor designs. These advantages make the LT1168 the most cost effective solution for precision instrumentation amplifier applications.
- Bridge Amplifiers
- Strain Gauge Amplifiers
- Thermocouple Amplifiers
- Differential to Single-Ended Converters
- Differential Voltage to Current Converters
- Data Acquisition
- Battery-Powered and Portable Equipment
- Medical Instrumentation
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Analog Devices provides a line of evaluation boards designed to help users evaluate our instrumentation amplifiers in 8 pin packages. Access the user guide UG-261.
This user guide describes three generic evaluation boards that can be used to evaluate many of Analog Devices instrumentation amplifiers. For information on the performance of a specific instrumentation amplifier, see the data sheet for that instrumentation amplifier.
- 3 generic, easy-to-use evaluation boards
- Shipped with an assortment of Analog Devices in-amps
- Solder in the in-amp to be tested
- Test pins already populated
- Decoupling capacitors already populated
- EVAL-INAMP-62RZ board: Compatible with AD620, AD621, AD622, AD623, AD627, AD8223, AD8225, LT1167, LT1168 and LT6370 in SOIC or PDIP
- EVAL-INAMP-82RZ board: Compatible with AD8221, AD8226, AD8227, AD8228, AD8229, AD8421, AD8428, and AD8429 in SOIC package
- EVAL-INAMP-82RMZ board: Compatible with AD8220, AD8221, AD8226, AD8227, AD8228, AD8236, and AD8421 in MSOP package
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
In-Amp Diamond Plot Tool
The Diamond Plot Tool is a web application that generates a configuration-specific Output Voltage Range vs. Input Common-Mode Voltage graph, also known as the Diamond Plot, for Analog Devices Instrumentation Amplifiers. Based on user inputs such as supply voltage, gain, and input signal range, the tool detects saturation and recommends in-amps for which the input signal is in-range and the configuration is valid. Avoid saturation, find the best in-amp for your design, and save time.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.