Features and Benefits
- Relative Capacity Calculated from Combination Coulomb Counter and Open-Circuit Cell Voltage (OCV) Battery Model
- Accurate Warning of Low-Battery Conditions Even on First Cycle (No Learn Cycle Needed)
- 12-Bit Battery Voltage Measurement
- ±10mV Accuracy
- 1.22mV LSB, 0V to 4.5V Input Range
- 11-Bit Bidirectional Current Measurement
- 25µV LSB, ±51.2mV Dynamic Range
- 1.67mA LSB, ±3.4A (RSNS = 15mΩ)
- Current Accumulation Measurement Resolution
- ±204.8mVh Range
- ±13.65Ah (RSNS = 15mΩ)
- Internal Temperature Measurement
- 0.125°C LSB, ±3°C Accuracy
- Two 11-Bit Auxiliary Input-Voltage Measurements
- ±8 LSB Accuracy, Ratiometric Inputs Eliminate Supply Accuracy Issues
- VOUT Pin Drives Resistive Dividers, Reduces Current Consumption
- 2-Wire Interface
- Low Power Consumption
- Active Current: 50µA (typ), 80µA (max)
- Sleep Current: 1µA (typ), 3µA (max)
The DS2786B estimates available capacity for rechargeable Li-ion (Li+) and Li+ polymer batteries based on the cell voltage in the open-circuit state following a relaxation period. The open-circuit voltage (OCV) is used to determine relative cell capacity based on a lookup table stored in the IC. This capability makes accurate capacity information available immediately after a battery pack is inserted. During periods of moderate to high rate discharging, which preclude OCV measurements, the DS2786B uses coulomb counting as a secondary means of estimating relative capacity.
Remaining capacity is reported in percent, along with cell voltage, current, and temperature information. Cell characteristics and application parameters used in the calculations are stored in on-chip EEPROM.
The DS2786B is intended for use on the host side of portable devices, though it can also be mounted within a battery pack. Measurement and estimated capacity data are accessed through an I²C interface. Temperature data is available from an on-die sensor. Resistance measurements of a pack identification resistor and pack thermistor are supported by ratiometric measurements on two auxiliary inputs.
The DS2786B comes in a 10-pin, lead-free, TDFN 3mm x 3mm package with an exposed pad (EP).
- 3G Multimedia Wireless Handsets
- Digital Audio (MP3) Players
- Digital Still Cameras
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Documentation & Resources
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.