Features and Benefits
- 16384 bits Electrically Programmable Read Only Memory (EPROM) communicates with the economy of one signal plus ground
- Unique, factory-lasered and tested 64-bit registration number (8-bit family code + 48-bit serial number + 8-bit CRC tester) assures absolute traceability because no two parts are alike
- Built-in multidrop controller ensures compatibility with other 1-Wire Net products
- EPROM partitioned into sixty-four 256-bit pages for randomly accessing packetized data records
- Each memory page can be permanently write-protected to prevent tampering
- Device is an "add only" memory where additional data can be programmed into EPROM without disturbing existing data
- Architecture allows software to patch data by superseding an old page in favor of a newly programmed page
- Reduces control, address, data, power, and programming signals to a single data pin
- Directly connects to a single port pin of a microprocessor and communicates at up to 16.3 kbits per second
- 8-bit family code specifies DS2505 communications requirements to reader
- Presence detector acknowledges when the reader first applies voltage
- Low cost TO-92 or 6-pin TSOC surface mount package
- Reads over a wide voltage range of 2.8V to 6.0V from -40°C to +85°C; programs at 11.5V to 12.0V from -40°C to +50°C
The DS2505 16Kb Add–Only Memory identifies and stores relevant information about the product to which it is associated. This lot or product specific information can be accessed with minimal interface, for example a single port pin of a microcontroller. The DS2505 consists of a factory-lasered registration number that includes a unique 48-bit serial number, an 8-bit CRC, and an 8-bit Family Code (0BH) plus 16Kb of user-programmable EPROM. The power to program and read the DS2505 is derived entirely from the 1-Wire® communication line. Data is transferred serially via the 1-Wire protocol which requires only a single data lead and a ground return. The entire device can be programmed and then write-protected if desired. Alternatively, the part may be programmed multiple times with new data being appended to, but not overwriting, existing data with each subsequent programming of the device. Note: Individual bits can be changed only from a logical 1 to a logical 0, never from a logical 0 to a logical 1. A provision is also included for indicating that a certain page or pages of data are no longer valid and have been replaced with new or updated data that is now residing at an alternate page address. This page address redirection allows software to patch data and enhance the flexibility of the device as a standalone database. The 48-bit serial number that is factory-lasered into each DS2505 provides a guaranteed-unique identity which allows for absolute traceability. The TO-92 and TSOC packages provide a compact enclosure that allows standard assembly equipment to handle the device easily for attachment to printed circuit boards or wiring. Typical applications include storage of calibration constants, maintenance records, asset tracking, product revision status and access codes.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The DS9481R is a USB-to-1-Wire adapter for easy PC connectivity to 1-Wire devices. The adapter provides an RJ11 connector with the signals to communicate with all 1-Wire and iButton devices that support a 3.3V data I/O level. Additionally, the adapter provides the support and signaling to program 1-Wire/iButton EEPROM and one-time programmable (OTP)/EPROM devices. To provide a total hardware solution, the DS9481R can readily be used with the DS9120 socket adapter to create a 1-Wire PC programmer for 1-Wire slave devices (contact factory for more information). The equivalent slave hardware solution for the iButton is the DS1402D-DR8.
Features & Benefits
- Driver Support for Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, and Windows XP® Operating Systems
- Enumerates as a Virtual PC COM Port by Use of the Prolific PL-2303HXD USB-to-UART Bridge IC
- Emulates the DS2480B 1-Wire Line Driving Functionality
- 1-Wire OTP/EPROM Programming Provided Without the Need of an External Power Supply (12V on OW, 7V on PULSE)
- 3.3V Read/Write Operation to 1-Wire/iButton Devices
- RJ11 Interface for Standard Connectivity Accessories such as the DS9120 Socket Adapter
- Supports Standard and Overdrive 1-Wire Communication
- Provides Strong Pullup to 3.3V
- Fully Compliant with USB 2.0 Specification
- Windows XP Certified Logo Drivers
Documentation & Resources
DS2505 Reliability Data1/12/2023
1-Wire Search Algorithm3/28/2002
Reading and Writing 1-Wire® Devices Through Serial Interfaces3/29/2001
How to Build a 1-Wire® Evaluation Kit5/14/2012
Protecting 5V 1-Wire® Slaves from Overvoltage Exposure5/30/2011
White Paper 2: Using the 1-Wire® Public Domain Kit7/16/2008
1-Wire Software Resource Guide Device Description7/8/2008
1-Wire Master Device Configuration3/3/2004
White Paper 5: Using 1-Wire APIs for Data Sheet Commands6/7/2002
1-Wire Communication Through Software5/30/2002
Using the DS2480B Serial 1-Wire® Line Driver3/12/2002
Programming 1-Wire EPROM and EEPROM Memory Devices Using a PC1/2/2002
Printed Circuit Board Identification Using 1-Wire® Products12/26/2001
1-Wire File Structure7/11/2001
Understanding and Using Cyclic Redundancy Checks with Maxim 1-Wire and iButton Products3/29/2001
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
Buy Now Pricing
(**) Displayed Buy Now Price and Price Range is based on small quantity orders.
(*)The 1Ku list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.