Features and Benefits
- Integrated, isolated high-side supply
- 150 mW of secondary side power
- Isolated high-side and low-side outputs
- 100 mA output source current, 300 mA output sink current
- High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/μs
- High temperature operation: 105°C
- Adjustable power level
- Wide body, 16-lead SOIC package
- Safety and regulatory approvals
- UL recognition: 2500 V rms for 1 minute per UL1577
- Qualified for automotive applications
The ADuM5230 is an isolated half-bridge gate driver that employs Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology to provide independent and isolated high-side and low-side outputs. Combining CMOS and microtransformer technologies, this isolation component contains an integrated dc-to-dc converter providing an isolated high-side supply. This eliminates the cost, space, and performance difficulties associated with external supply configurations such as bootstrap circuitry. This highside isolated supply powers not only the ADuM5230 high-side output but also any external buffer circuitry used with the ADuM5230.
In comparison to gate drivers employing high voltage level translation methodologies, the ADuM5230 offers the benefit of true, galvanic isolation between the input and each output. Each output can operate up to ±700 VP relative to the input, thereby supporting low-side switching to negative voltages. The differential voltage between the high side and low side may be as high as 700 VP.
- MOSFET/IGBT gate drives
- Motor drives
- Power supplies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
This evaluation board is obsolete and no longer recommended.
The AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ is a complete high performance servo system on an FPGA Mezzanine Card (FMC) board, the purpose of which is to provide a complete motor drive system demonstrating efficient and high dynamic control of three phase PMSM and induction motors up to 48V and 20A.
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
Features & Benefits
This evaluation board is obsolete and no longer recommended.
The FMCMOTCON2 evaluation kit enables users to:
- Model and implement motor control algorithms rapidly for high performance servo systems, incorporating system modelling and design concepts using Mathworks model based design
- Reduce time needed to move a motor control system from concept to production, by providing a prototyping system to verify the hardware and control algorithms before moving to production stage.
Documentation & Resources
Recommendations for Control of Radiated Emissions with isoPower Devices7/3/2020
AN-0971: Recommendations for Control of Radiated Emissions with isoPower Devices (Rev. C)2/14/2015
AN-913: Isolating I2C Interfaces (Rev. 0)6/20/2007
AN-727: iCoupler® Isolation in RS-485 Applications (Rev. 0)11/1/2006
AN-740: iCoupler® Isolation in RS-232 Applications (Rev. A)11/1/2006
AN-770: iCoupler® Isolation in CAN Bus Applications (Rev. 0)11/1/2006
AN-793: ESD/Latch-Up Considerations with iCoupler® Isolation Products (Rev. A)11/1/2006
AN-825: Power Supply Considerations in iCoupler® Isolation Products (Rev. 0)11/1/2006
Micro-Transformers Provide Signal and Power Isolation for Hybrid Electric Vehicles3/1/2018
Powering the Isolated Side of Your Half-Bridge Configuration6/1/2014
Inside iCoupler® Technology:ADuM347x PWM Controller and Transformer Driver with Quad-Channel Isolators Design Summary12/10/2010
NAppkin Note: Lowering the Power of the ADuM524x12/10/2010
Microtransformer Isolation Benefits Digital Control10/1/2008
High Speed Digital Isolators Using Microscale On-Chip Transformers9/1/2003
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
See our Ordering FAQs for answers to questions about online orders, payment options and more.
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.