Features and Benefits
- 100 MHz (10.5 ns) Core Instruction Rate
- Single-Cycle Instruction Execution, Including SIMD Operations in Both Computational Units
- 570 MFLOPS Peak and
380 MFLOPS Sustained Performance (Based on FIR)
- Dual Data Address Generators (DAGs) with Modulo and Bit-Reverse Addressing
- EEE 1149.1 JTAG Standard Test Access Port and On-Chip Emulation
- Zero-Overhead Looping and Single-Cycle Loop Setup, Providing Efficient Program Sequencing
- 400-Ball 27 x 27 mm Metric PBGA Package
- Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) Architecture provides two computational processing elements, concurrent execution and code compatibility at assembly level with the ADSP-2106x SHARC DSP family
The ADSP-21160N SHARC® DSP is the second iteration of the ADSP-21160. Built in a 0.18 micron CMOS process, it offers higher performance and lower power consumption than its predecessor, the ADSP-21160M. Easing portability, the ADSP-21160N is application source code compatible with first generation ADSP-2106x SHARC DSPs in SISD (Single Instruction, Single Data) mode. To take advantage of the processor’s SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) capability, some code changes are needed. Like other SHARCs, the ADSP-21160N is a 32-bit processor that is optimized for high performance DSP applications. The ADSP-21160N includes a 100 MHz core, a dual-ported on-chip SRAM, an integrated I/O processor with multiprocessing support, and multiple internal buses to eliminate I/O bottlenecks.
The ADSP-21160N introduces Single-Instruction, Multiple-Data (SIMD) processing. Using two computational units (ADSP-2106x SHARC DSPs have one), the ADSP-21160N can double performance versus the ADSP-2106x on a range of DSP algorithms.
The ADSP-21160N continues SHARC’s industry-leading standards of integration for DSPs, combining a high-performance 32-bit DSP core with integrated, on-chip system features. These features include a 4M-bit dual ported SRAM memory, host processor interface, I/O processor that supports 14 DMA channels, two serial ports, six link ports, external parallel bus, and glueless multiprocessing.
Product Lifecycle Not Recommended for New Designs
This designates products ADI does not recommend broadly for new designs.
Evaluation Kits (1)
EMULATOR-USB & HP USB ICE
Analog Devices’ cost-effective Universal Serial Bus (USB)-based emulator and High performance (HP) Universal Serial Bus (USB)-based emulator each provide an easy, portable, non-intrusive, target-based debugging solution for Analog Devices JTAG processors and DSPs. These powerful USB-based emulators perform a wide range of emulation functions, including single-step and full speed execution with pre-defined breakpoints, and viewing and/or altering of register and memory contents. With the ability to automatically detect and support multiple I/O voltages, the USB and HP USB emulators enable users to communicate with all of the Analog Devices JTAG processors and DSPs using either a full speed USB 1.1 or high speed USB 2.0 port on the host PC. Applications and data can easily and rapidly be tested and transferred between the emulators and the separately available VisualDSP++ development and debugging environment(sold separately).
The plug-and-play architecture of USB allows the emulators to be automatically detected and configured by the host operating system. It can also be connected to and disconnected from the host without opening the PC or turning off the power to the PC. A 3-meter cable is included to connect the emulators to the host PC, thus providing abundant accessibility to hard to reach targets.
The HP USB-based emulator also supports the Background
Telemetry Channel (BTC), a non-intrusive method
for exchanging data between the host and target
application without affecting the target system's
Part Number: ADZS-USB-ICE
High Performance USB-Based Emulator
Part Number: ADZS-HPUSB-ICE
Tel: 1-800-ANALOGD (262-5643)
For additional information, contact your local Analog Devices Sales Office or Distributor.
Features & Benefits
- Full speed USB 1.1 interface enabling download speeds of up to 150 KB/Sec (ADZS-USB-ICE) or High speed USB 2.0 interface enabling download speeds of up to 1.5MB/sec (ADZS-HPUSB-ICE)
- Background Telemetry Channel (BTC) support enabling non-intrusive data exchange at up to 2.0 MB/sec (ADZS-HPUSB-ICE only)
- 1.8V, 2.5V, and 3.3V compliant and tolerant
- Support for all ADI JTAG processors and DSPs
- 5V tolerant and 3.3V compliant for 5V processors and DSPs
- Multiprocessor support
- 14-pin JTAG connector
- 3-meter USB cable for difficult-to-reach targets
Application Notes (35)
Processor Manuals (4)
Software & Systems Requirements
Software & Tools Anomalies
Software Development Tools
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.