Features and Benefits
- Analog output protection and detection solution
- Overvoltage protection up to ±60 V on S and SFB pins
- Power off protection up to ±60 V on S and SFB pins
- Integrated 0.6 kΩ secondary feedback channel
- Known output under all conditions
- User enabled, power-on condition pulls source to 0 V
- Known state without digital inputs present
- Latch-up immune
- Optimized resistance for measurement channel and feedback channel
- Low on resistance of 6 Ω typical on signal channel
- Ultraflat, on resistance on signal channel
- 3 mm × 2 mm LFCS
- VSS to VDD −2 V signal range
- Fully specified at ±15 V, ±20 V, +12 V, and +36 V
- ±5 V to ±22 V dual supply operation
- 8 V to 44 V single-supply operation
The ADG5401F main channel switch is a SPST, low on-resistance switch that features overvoltage protection, power off protection, and overvoltage detection on the source pins (S and SFB). The ADG5401F also features a protected secondary feedback channel for use with digital-to-analog converter (DAC) or amplifier outputs.
When no power supplies are present, the switch remains in the off condition, and the switch inputs are high impedance.
When powered, if the analog input signal levels on the S pin exceed VDD or VSS by a threshold voltage (VT) the switch turns off, the open-drain FF pin pulls to a logic low and a path between the D and DFB pins is switched on to prevent an open-loop condition on the amplifier output. Input signal levels up to +60 V or −60 V relative to ground are blocked, in both the powered and unpowered condition. The selectable POC pin function allows the protected switch terminal, S, to be connected to GND to minimize glitches on the output. The switch turns on with a Logic 1 input and conducts equally well in both directions. The digital input is compatible with 1.8 V logic inputs over the full operating supply range.
- Source pin is protected against voltages greater than the supply rails, up to −60 V and +60 V in both powered and unpowered states.
- Overvoltage detection with digital output indicates operating state of switches.
- Trench isolation guards against latch-up.
- The ADG5401F can operate from a dual supply range of ±5 V to ±22 V or a single-supply range of +8 V to +44 V.
- Negative channel metal oxide semiconductor (NMOS) only architecture requires 2 V headroom toward VDD and provides low RON and ultraflat RON across the VSS to VDD − 5 V signal range.
- DAC output protection
- Amplifier output protection
- Analog output modules
- Process control/distributed control systems
- Data acquisition
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADG5401FEBZ evaluation board for the ADG5401F features one SPST switch channel and one feedback switch channel. The ADG5401F SPST switch has overvoltage detection and protection circuitry on the source pins (S and SFB) on Terminal J2 and is protected against signals up to ±60 V in the powered state and unpowered state.
Figure 1 shows the EVAL-ADG5401FEBZ in a typical evaluation setup. The ADG5401F is soldered to the center of the EVALADG5401FEBZ, and two wire screw terminals (J2 and J3) are provided to connect to each device source pin (S and SFB) and drain pin (D and DFB). The J1 screw terminal powers the device through three EVAL-ADG5401FEBZ supply pins (VDD, GND and VSS), and a fourth pin (EXT_VL) provides a user defined digital voltage of 1.8 V to 5 V, if required. Alternatively, a low dropout (LDO) regulator (ADP7142) is provided for 5 V digital voltage control and to supply both light emitting diodes (LEDs) LED1 and LED2, which are mounted to provide visual indication of the fault status of the switch.
For full specifications on the ADG5401F, see the ADG5401F data sheet, which must be consulted in conjunction with the user guide when using the EVAL-ADG5401FEBZ.
Features & Benefits
- Supply voltages
- Dual-supply: ±5 V to ±22 V
- Single-supply: 8 V to 44 V
- Protected against overvoltage on the device source pins (S and SFB) on Terminal J2
- Protected against signal voltages up to ±60 V
- LEDs for visual overvoltage indication
- Parallel interface compatible with 1.8 V logic
- On-board LDO regulator for digital supply and control, if required
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.