Features and Benefits
- Measures up to 8 battery cells in series
- Maximum lifetime total measurement error: 1.5 mV
- Stackable architecture supports hundreds of cells
- Built-in isoSPI interface
- 2 Mb isolated serial communications
- Uses a single twisted pair, up to 20 meters
- Low EMI susceptibility and emissions
- Bidirectional for broken wire protection
- Capacitor or transformer coupled
- Hot plug tolerant without external protection
- Diagnostics for IC and application circuit failure modes
- 304 μs to measure all cells in a system
- 16-bit ADC with programmable noise filter
- Passive cell balancing up to 300 mA per channel with programmable PWM
- 7 GPIO or analog inputs
- Temperature or other sensor inputs
- Configurable as an I2C or SPI master
- Sleep state supply current: 5.5 μA
- 48-lead LQFP package with exposed pad
- AEC-Q100 qualified for automotive applications
The ADBMS6817 is a multicell battery stack monitor that measures up to 8 series connected battery cells with a lifetime total measurement error (TME) of less than 1.5 mV. The cell measurement range of 0 V to 5 V makes the ADBMS6817 suitable for most battery chemistries. All 8 cells can be measured in 304 μs, and lower data acquisition rates can be selected for high noise reduction.
Multiple ADBMS6817 devices can be connected in series, permitting simultaneous cell monitoring of long, high voltage battery strings. Each ADBMS6817 has an isoSPI™ interface for high speed, RF immune, long distance communications. Multiple devices are connected in a daisy chain with one host processor connection for all devices. This daisy chain can be operated bidirectionally, ensuring communication integrity even in the event of a fault along the communication path.
The ADBMS6817 can be powered directly from the battery stack or from an isolated supply. The ADBMS6817 includes passive balancing for each cell, with individual pulse-width modulation (PWM) duty cycle control for each cell. Other features include an on-board 5 V regulator, seven general-purpose input/output (GPIO) lines, and a sleep state, where current consumption is reduced to 5.5 μA.
- Electric and hybrid electric vehicles
- Backup battery systems
- Grid energy storage
- High power portable equipment
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.