Features and Benefits
- Measures up to 6 battery cells in series
- Maximum lifetime total measurement error: 1.5 mV
- Stackable architecture supports hundreds of cells
- Built-in isoSPI interface
- 2 Mbps isolated serial communications
- Uses a single twisted pair, up to 20 meters
- Low EMI susceptibility and emissions
- Bidirectional for broken wire protection
- Capacitor or transformer coupled
- Hot plug tolerant without external protection
- Designed for high reliability systems
- Includes redundant cell measurements
- Diagnostic coverage of operational modes
- 304 μs to measure all cells in a system
- 16-bit ADC with programmable noise filter
- Passive cell balancing up to 300 mA per channel with programmable PWM
- 7 GPIO or analog inputs
- Temperature or other sensor inputs
- Configurable as an I2C or SPI master
- Accommodates ±5 V busbar voltage
- Sleep state supply current: 5.5 μA
- 48-lead LQFP package with exposed pad
- AEC-Q100 qualified for automotive applications
The ADBMS6816 is a multicell battery stack monitor that measures up to six series connected battery cells with a lifetime total measurement error (TME) of less than 1.5 mV. The cell measurement range of 0 V to 5 V makes the ADBMS6816 suitable for most battery chemistries. All six cells can be measured in 304 μs, and lower data acquisition rates can be selected for high noise reduction.
Multiple ADBMS6816 devices can be connected in series, permitting simultaneous cell monitoring of long, high voltage battery strings. Each ADBMS6816 has an isoSPI™ interface for high speed, RF immune, long distance communications.
Multiple devices are connected in a daisy chain with one host processor connection for all devices. This daisy chain can be operated bidirectionally, ensuring communication integrity even in the event of a fault along the communication path.
The ADBMS6816 can be powered directly from the battery stack or from an isolated supply. The ADBMS6816 includes passive balancing for each cell, with individual pulse-width modulation (PWM) duty cycle control for each cell. Other features include an on-board 5 V regulator, seven general-purpose input/output (GPIO) lines, and a sleep state, where current consumption is reduced to 5.5 μA.
- Electric and hybrid electric vehicles
- Backup battery systems
- Grid energy storage
- High power portable equipment
Product Lifecycle Pre-Release
This product is new and engineering validation may still be underway. Quantities may be limited and design specifications may change while we ready the product for release to production.
Evaluation Kits (1)
ADI is the leader in the wireless battery management system (wBMS) technology. This page contains information about the ADI wBMS Evaluation Kit (EV-K800A0-1512AZ) that is offered to customers to evaluate the system. This kit is meant for demonstration, early feasibility studies, system analysis, and rapid prototyping.
The EV-K800A0-1512AZ kit includes six wireless cell monitors (EV-C800X11512Z), the wBMS nodes, that senses the battery parameters and sends to the Light Weight Dual Manager (EV-L850 A1Z) over wBMS protocol. The kit also contains six cell simulator boards (AD12CSBZ) to simulate battery parameters.
Features & Benefits
- Set up and run a wBMS network on the bench, with or without a battery, and view all relevant BMS and network information.
- Wireless network testing with wBMS devices placed in the battery pack.
- Collect BMS and network data when connected to the customers battery modules.
- The kit dual manager board is capable of being driven from a customer generated script running on a Test PC or Test Host.
- Evaluation with the LT2949 pack-level current sensor demo board.
Complete documentation is available upon completion of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) (pdf). Send your completed forms, project details, company information and contact by e-mail to email@example.com. Additional support is available from your Analog Devices local sales.
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.