Features and Benefits
- Measures up to 12 battery cells in series
- Maximum lifetime total measurement error: 1.5 mV
- Stackable architecture for high voltage battery packs
- Built-in isoSPI interface
- 2 Mb isolated serial communications
- Uses a single twisted pair, up to 20 meters
- Low EMI susceptibility and emissions
- Bidirectional for broken wire protection
- Capacitor or transformer coupled
- ADBMS6815WFS models designed for use in ISO 26262 applications for Automotive Safety Integrity Level Capability D (ASIL D)
- Hot plug tolerant without external protection
- Diagnostics for IC and application circuit failure modes
- 304 μs to measure all cells in a system
- 16-bit ADC with programmable noise filter
- Passive cell balancing up to 300 mA per channel with programmable PWM
- 7 GPIO or analog inputs
- Temperature or other sensor inputs
- Configurable as an I2C or SPI master
- Sleep state supply current: 5.5 μA
- 48-lead LQFP package with exposed pad
- AEC-Q100 qualified for automotive applications
The ADBMS6815 is a multicell battery stack monitor that measures up to 12 series connected battery cells with a lifetime total measurement error (TME) of less than 1.5 mV. The cell measurement range of 0 V to 5 V makes the ADBMS6815 suitable for most battery chemistries. All 12 cells can be measured in 304 µs, and lower data acquisition rates can be selected for high noise reduction.
Multiple ADBMS6815 devices can be connected in series, permitting simultaneous cell monitoring of long, high voltage battery strings. Each ADBMS6815 has an isoSPI™ interface for high speed, RF immune, long distance communications.
Multiple devices are connected in a daisy chain with one host processor connection for all devices. This daisy chain can be operated bidirectionally, ensuring communication integrity even in the event of a fault along the communication path.
The ADBMS6815 can be powered directly from the battery stack or from an isolated supply. The ADBMS6815 includes passive balancing for each cell, with individual pulse-width modulation (PWM) duty cycle control for each cell. Other features include an on-board 5 V regulator, seven general purpose input/output (GPIO) lines, and a sleep state, where current consumption is reduced to 5.5 µA.
The ADBMS6815WFS models are designed for use in ISO 26262 applications for Automotive Safety Integrity Level Capability D (ASIL D).
- Electric and hybrid electric vehicles
- Backup battery systems
- Grid energy storage
- High power portable equipment
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The demonstration circuit DC2792B is an SPI serial to dual-port isoSPI adapter that uses a pair of multiplexed LTC6820 isoSPI transceivers and miniaturized isoSPI connectors (2 contact DuraClik). The board can functionally replace a DC1941 in cases where isoSPI battery-management (BMS) devices are being evaluated, but provides a second isoSPI master to exercise the reversible isoSPI feature where available. The SPI interface can be provided via the legacy 14-contact ribbon cable from either a DC590 or DC2026 USB adapter, or directly installed on the DC2026 as a Linduino shield. The two isoSPI ports are MAIN and AUXiliary, with activity of each indicated by blue LEDs. For use in place of DC1941 or non-reversible isoSPI networks, the MAIN port must be used. Power for the DC2792B comes indirectly from the USB port of the host computer, via the USB to serial adapter being used.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.