Features and Benefits
- 4× input frequency multiplier with programmable harmonic filter
- Quad Differential Output PAs with independent Enable Control
- Input Frequency Range: 2.5 GHz to 10 GHz
- Output Frequency Range: 10 GHz to 40 GHz
- Input power: −20 dBm (50 Ω)
- Output power: 5 dBm differential (100 Ω)
- Harmonic rejection: −20 dBc to −40 dBc at all frequencies
- 3-Wire or 4-Wire SPI Control of all functions
- On-Chip Programmable State Machines for fast multiplier/filter and transmitter switching and control
- On-chip temperature sensor, output power detectors, and ADC
- DC power: 450 mW (2.5 V supply)
- 6 mm × 6 mm, 40-terminal LGA package
The ADAR2001 is a transmitter IC optimized for millimeter wave body scanning applications. Accepting a single-ended continuous wave (CW) input signal between 2.5 GHz and 10 GHz, the ADAR2001 provides gain, 4× frequency multiplication, harmonic filtering, 1:4 signal splitting, and four independently controllable power amplifiers (PAs) with differential outputs designed to directly drive dipole antennas with differential inputs.
All device functions and configuration options can be accessed by a 3-wire or 4-wire Analog Devices, Inc., serial peripheral interface (SPI).
Two state machines are also integrated into the ADAR2001, which facilitate easy configuration, control, and fast switching of the frequency multiplier, filter, and transmitter sections. These sequencers are programmed through the SPI and are then operated by pulsed inputs (reset and advance).
The output power and chip temperature can be monitored by four on-chip detectors and a temperature sensor whose outputs are multiplexed to an 8-bit ADC.
The ADAR2001 requires only a single 2.5 V supply with power consumption of 450 mW with one channel turned on.
The ADAR2001 is available in a compact, 40-terminal, 6 mm × 6 mm LGA package and is specified from −40°C to +85°C.
- Millimeter Wave Imaging
- Wideband local oscillator (LO) multiplier/distributor
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADAR2001-EVALZ evaluation board is designed for testing the performance of the ADAR2001. The ADAR2001 is a 4-channel 4x Frequency Multiplier/Filter designed for mmWave security imaging applications. All RF input/outputs are brought out to 2.92mm (K) coaxial connectors. On-board logic level translators convert between the external logic level and the on-chip level of 1.8V.
There is an Analog Devices System Demonstration Platform (SDP) connector which can be used in conjunction with an SDP controller board to manipulate the internal registers as well as cycle through the programmed modes of the two internal state machines.
The ADAR2001 has two integrated state machines, one for the Multiplier section and another for the Transmitter section. The sequencers are configured through the SPI, and can be used to quickly cycle through pre-programmed states. These sequencers can be exercised in one of two ways:
- External Advance and Reset Pins:
- TxADV - Transmitter Advance (Pin 8)
- TxRST - Transmitter Reset (Pin 9)
- MADV - Multiplier Advance (Pin 10)
- MRST - Multiplier Reset (Pin 11)
- SPI writes to the SEQUENCER_CTRL_SPI register (0x44)
- mmW Imaging
- mmW Security
- mmW Medical
- mmW Industrial
- Wideband LO Multiplier/Distributor
Features & Benefits
- Based on the ADAR2001 4-channel Frequency Multiplier/Filter
- Controllable through SPI
- Multiple forms of digital interface (3.3 V and 1.8 V logic)
- On-board logic level translators with 1.8 V low dropout regulator for supply
- Software control from a Windows-based PC through USB
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.