Features and Benefits
- Optimized for ADC synchronization
- Low power: 22 mW (±12 V supplies)
- 12 binary gain steps from 1/16 V/V to 128 V/V
- 3 scaling gains: 1 V/V, 1.25 V/V, and 1.375 V/V
- ±60 V protected input multiplexer
- Excellent dc precision
- Low input offset voltage: ±14 μV maximum
- Low input offset voltage drift: ±0.08 μV/°C maximum
- Gain calibration via ROM
- Low gain drift: ±1 ppm/°C maximum
- High CMRR: 116 dB minimum, G = 1 V/V
- Low input bias current: ±1.5 nA maximum
- High input impedance
- Integrated input EMI filtering
- Wide input supply range: ±5 V to ±28 V
- Dedicated output amplifier supplies
- 7 GPIO ports with special functions
- Sequential chip select mode
- External multiplexer control
- Excitation current sources
- SPI port with checksum (CRC) support
- Internal fault detection
- Wire break test currents
- On-chip test multiplexer
- 28-lead, 5 mm × 5 mm LFCSP, 24-lead TSSOP
- Specified temperature range: −40°C to +105°C
The ADA4254 is a zero drift, high voltage, low power programmable gain instrumentation amplifier (PGIA) designed for process control and industrial applications. The ADA4254 features 12 binary weighted gains ranging from 1/16 V/V to 128 V/V and three scaling gain options of 1 V/V, 1.25 V/V, and 1.375 V/V, resulting in 36 possible gain settings. The power consumption of the ADA4254 is a mere 22 mW, making the device an excellent choice for industrial systems that demand precision, robustness, and low power.
The zero drift amplifier topology of the ADA4254 self calibrates dc errors and low frequency 1/f noise, achieving excellent dc precision over the entire specified temperature range. This high level of precision maximizes dynamic range and greatly reduces calibration requirements in many applications.
The input multiplexer provides ±60 V protection to the high impedance inputs of the amplifier, while providing the capability to switch between two input sources. In addition, integrated electromagnetic interference (EMI) filters block harsh RF noise from the sensitive inputs of the amplifier.
Various safety features on the ADA4254 detect both internal and external faults. The serial port interface (SPI) supports cyclical redundancy check (CRC) error detection to ensure robust communication. These safety features ease system safety integrity level (SIL) certification.
Seven general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pins, which can be configured to provide various special functions, are included in the ADA4254. An excitation current source output is available to bias sensors such as resistance temperature detectors (RTDs).
The ADA4254 is specified over the −40°C to +105°C temperature range and is offered in a compact 5 mm × 5 mm, 28-lead LFCSP and a 24-lead TSSOP.
- Universal process control front ends
- Data acquisition systems
- Test and measurement systems
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADA4254RU-EBZ evaluation board is designed to help users evaluate the ADA4254, which is offered in a 24-lead thin shrink small outline package (TSSOP) or a 28-lead lead frame chip scale package (LFCSP). Figure 1 and Figure 2 show the front and back sides of the evaluation boards with the TSSOP package.
The ADA4254RU-EBZ evaluation board is a 4-layer printed circuit board (PCB). The evaluation board accepts Subminiature Version A (SMA) edge mounted connectors on the inputs and outputs to efficiently connect to test equipment or other circuitry.
The ADA4254RU-EBZ evaluation board requires the following three supply domains.
- A high voltage supply domain consisting of the supply pins, VDDH and VSSH, which are typically +28 V and −28 V respectively.
- The analog output supply domain, AVDD, typically 5 V.
- The digital supply domain, DVDD, typically 3.3 V.
Features & Benefits
- Enables quick breadboarding and prototyping
- Edge mounted SMA connector provisions
- Easy connection to test equipment and other circuits
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.