Features and Benefits
- Member of pin-compatible TxDAC product family
- 125 MSPS update rate
- 14-bit resolution
- Excellent SFDR and IMD
- Differential current outputs: 2 mA to 20 mA
- Power dissipation: 190 mW at 5 V to 45 mW at 3 V
- Power-down mode: 25 mW at 5 V
- On-chip 1.20 V reference
- Single +5 V or +3 V supply operation
- Packages: 28-lead SOIC and TSSOP
- Edge-triggered latches
The AD9764 is the 14-bit resolution member of the TxDAC® series of high performance, low power CMOS digital-to-analog converters (DACs). The TxDAC®; family, which consists of pin compatible 8-, 10-, 12-, and 14-bit DACs, is specifically optimized for the transmit signal path of communication systems. All of the devices share the same interface options, small outline package and pinout, providing an upward or downward component selection path based on performance, resolution and cost. The AD9764 offers exceptional ac and dc performance while supporting update rates up to 125 MSPS.
The AD9764’s flexible single-supply operating range of 2.7 V to 5.5 V and low power dissipation are well suited for portable and low power applications. Its power dissipation can be further reduced to a mere 45 mW with a slight degradation in performance by lowering the full-scale current output. Also, a power-down mode reduces the standby power dissipation to approximately 25 mW.
The AD9764 is manufactured on an advanced CMOS process. A segmented current source architecture is combined with a proprietary switching technique to reduce spurious components and enhance dynamic performance. Edge-triggered input latches and a 1.2 V temperature compensated bandgap reference have been integrated to provide a complete monolithic DAC solution. Flexible supply options support +3 V and +5 V CMOS logic families.
The AD9764 is a current-output DAC with a nominal full-scale output current of 20 mA and >100 kΩ output impedance. Differential current outputs are provided to support single-ended or differential applications. Matching between the two current outputs ensures enhanced dynamic performance in a differential output configuration. The current outputs may be tied directly to an output resistor to provide two complementary, single-ended voltage outputs or fed directly into a transformer. The output voltage compliance range is 1.25 V.
The on-chip reference and control amplifier are configured for maximum accuracy and flexibility. The AD9764 can be driven by the on-chip reference or by a variety of external reference voltages. The internal control amplifier, which provides a wide (>10:1) adjustment span, allows the AD9764 full-scale current to be adjusted over a 2 mA to 20 mA range while maintaining excellent dynamic performance. Thus, the AD9764 may operate at reduced power levels or be adjusted over a 20 dB range to provide additional gain ranging capabilities.
The AD9764 is available in a 28-lead SOIC package. It is specified for operation over the industrial temperature range.
- The AD9764 is a member of the TxDAC product family that provides an upward or downward component selection path based on resolution (8 to 14 bits), performance and cost.
- Manufactured on a CMOS process, the AD9764 uses a proprietary switching technique that enhances dynamic performance beyond that previously attainable by higher power/cost bipolar or BiCMOS devices.
- On-chip, edge-triggered input CMOS latches readily interface to +3 V and +5 V CMOS logic families. The AD9764 can support update rates up to 125 MSPS.
- A flexible single-supply operating range of 2.7 V to 5.5 V, and a wide full-scale current adjustment span of 2 mA to 20 mA, allows the AD9764 to operate at reduced power levels.
- The current output(s) of the AD9764 can be easily configured for various single-ended or differential circuit topologies.
- Communication Transmit Channel:
- ADSL/HFC Modems
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Application Notes (6)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.