Features and Benefits
- 1.8 V analog supply operation
- 1.8 V to 3.3 V output supply
- SNR = 71.8 dBc (72.8 dBFS) to 70 MHz input
- SFDR = 84 dBc to 70 MHz input
- Low power: 430 mW @ 150 MSPS
- Differential input with 650 MHz bandwidth
- On-chip voltage reference and sample-and-hold amplifier
- DNL = ±0.4 LSB
- Flexible analog input: 1 V p-p to 2 V p-p range
- Offset binary, Gray code, or twos complement data format
- Clock duty cycle stabilizer
- Data output clock
The AD9254 is a monolithic, single 1.8 V supply, 14-bit, 150 MSPS analog-to-digital converter (ADC), featuring a high performance sample-and-hold amplifier (SHA) and on-chip voltage reference. The product uses a multistage differential pipeline architecture with output error correction logic to provide 14-bit accuracy at 150 MSPS data rates and guarantees no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The wide bandwidth, truly differential SHA allows a variety of user-selectable input ranges and offsets, including single-ended applications. It is suitable for multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels and for sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies well beyond the Nyquist rate. Combined with power and cost savings over previously available ADCs, the AD9254 is suitable for applications in communications, imaging, and medical ultrasound.
A differential clock input controls all internal conversion cycles. A duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) compensates for wide variations in the clock duty cycle while maintaining excellent overall ADC performance.
The digital output data is presented in offset binary, Gray code, or twos complement formats. A data output clock (DCO) is provided to ensure proper latch timing with receiving logic.
The AD9254 is available in a 48-lead LFCSP_VQ and is specified over the industrial temperature range (−40°C to +85°C).
- The AD9254 operates from a single 1.8 V power supply and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 1.8 V to 3.3 V logic families.
- The patented SHA input maintains excellent performance for input frequencies up to 225 MHz.
- The clock DCS maintains overall ADC performance over a wide range of clock pulse widths.
- A standard serial port interface supports various product features and functions, such as data formatting (offset binary, twos complement, or Gray coding), enabling the clock DCS, power-down, and voltage reference mode.
- The AD9254 is pin-compatible with the AD9233, allowing a simple migration from 12 bits to 14 bits.
- Ultrasound equipment
- IF sampling in communications receivers CDMA2000, WCDMA, TD-SCDMA, and WiMax
- Battery-powered instruments
- Hand-held scopemeters
- Low cost digital oscilloscopes
- Macro, micro, and pico cell infrastructure
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Application Notes (18)
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9254 IBIS Models
ADIsimRF is an easy-to-use RF signal chain calculator. Cascaded gain, noise, distortion and power consumption can be calculated, plotted and exported for signal chains with up to 50 stages. ADIsimRF also includes an extensive data base of device models for ADI’s RF and mixed signal components.
Technical Articles (1)
Rarely Asked Questions (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.