Features and Benefits
- Ultra Low Power
135mW @ 40MSPS
190mW @ 65MSPS
- SNR = 66 dBc to Nyquist at 65MSPS
- SFDR = 80 dBc to Nyquist at 65 MSPS
- DNL= ±0.7 LSB
- Differential input with 500 MHz bandwidth
- Flexible analog input: 1 V p-p to 4 V p-p range
- Offset binary, twos complement, or gray code data formats
- Output Enable Pin
- 2-step power down; Full Power down and Sleep mode
- Clock duty cycle stabilizer
The AD9237 is a monolithic, single 3 V supply, 12-bit, 20/40/65 MSPS Analog to Digital Converter with a high performance sample-and-hold amplifier and voltage reference. The AD9237 uses a multistage differential pipelined architecture with output error correction logic to provide 12-bit accuracy at 20/40/65 MSPS data rates and guarantee no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The wide bandwidth, truly differential SHA allows for a variety of user-selectable input ranges and offsets including single-ended applications. It is suitable for multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels and for sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies well beyond the Nyquist rate. With significant power savings over previously available analog to digital converters, the AD9237 is suitable for applications imaging and medical ultrasound.
A single-ended clock input is used to control all internal conversion cycles. The digital output data is presented in straight binary, twos complement, or gray code formats. An out-of-range (OTR) signal indicates an overflow condition, which can be used with the most significant bit to determine low or high overflow.
Fabricated on an advanced CMOS process, the AD9237 is available in a 32-pin chip scale package and is specified over the industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C).
- Operating at 65 MSPS, the AD9237 consumes a low 190 mW and only consumes 135 mW at 40 MSPS and 90 mW at 20 MSPS.
- The AD9237 operates from a single 3V power supply, and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 2.5V and 3.3V logic families.
- The patented SHA input maintains excellent performance for input frequencies beyond Nyquist, and can be configured for single-ended or differential operation.
- The AD9237 is pin compatible to the AD9235, a 12-bit, 20/40/65 MSPS A/D converter. This allows a simplified path for low power 12-bit systems.
- The AD9237 is optimized for selectable and flexible input ranges from 4 Vp-p to 1 Vp-p.
- Output Enable pin to allow for multiplexing of the outputs.
- Two-step power down supports a standby mode in addition to a power down mode.
- The OTR output bit indicates when the signal is beyond the selected input range.
- Ultrasound and Medical Imaging
- Battery Powered Instruments
- Hand-Held Scopemeters
- Low Cost Digital Oscilloscopes
- Low Power Digital Still Cameras and Copiers
- Low power communications
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Application Notes (14)
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9237 IBIS Models
This table provides analog input impedance values (both real and imaginary) over frequency specific to the AD9237LFCSP. Please refer to <a href="/static/imported-files/application_notes/587173998057911564087081655730496713845335290374441083AN_742_a.pdf">AN-742: Frequency Domain Response of Switched-Capacitor ADCs</a>.
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.