Features and Benefits
- Single 3 V Supply Operation (2.7 V to 3.6 V)
- SNR = 70.4 dBc to Nyquist
- SFDR = 87.8 dBc to Nyquist
- Low Power: 366 mW at 80 MSPS
- Differential Input with 500 MHz Bandwidth
- On-Chip Reference and SHA
- DNL = ±0.4 LSB
- Flexible Analog Input: 1 Vp-p to 2 Vp-p Range
- Offset Binary or Twos Complement Data Format
- Clock Duty Cycle Stabilizer
The AD9236 is a monolithic, single 3V supply, 12-bit, 80 MSPS analog-to-digital converter with a high performance sample-and-hold (SHA) amplifier and voltage reference. The AD9236 uses a multi-stage differential pipelined architecture with output error correction logic to provide 12-bit accuracy at 80 MSPS data rates and guarantee no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The wide bandwidth, truly differential SHA allows for a variety of user-selectable input ranges and offsets including single-ended applications. It is suitable for multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels and for sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies well beyond the Nyquist rate. With power savings over previously available ADCs, the AD9236 is suitable for applications in communications, imaging, and medical ultrasound.
A single-ended clock input is used to control all internal conversion cycles. A duty cycle stabilizer (DCS) compensates for wide variations in the clock duty cycle while maintaining excellent performance. The digital output data is presented in straight binary or twos complement formats. An out-of-range (OTR) signal indicates an overflow condition, which can be used with the most significant bit to determine low or high overflow.
Fabricated on an advanced CMOS process, the AD9236 is available in a 28-lead TSSOP and a 32-lead LFCSP and is specified over the industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C).
- High end medical imaging equipment
- IF sampling in communications receivers
- Battery-powered instruments
- Hand-held scopemeters
- Low cost digital oscilloscopes
- DTV subsystems
- The AD9236 operates from a single 3 V power supply and features a separate digital output driver supply to accommodate 2.5 V and 3.3 V logic families.
- Operating at 80 MSPS, the AD9236 consumes a low 366 mW.
- The patented SHA input maintains excellent performance for input frequencies up to 100 MHz, and can be configured for single-ended or differential operation.
- The AD9236 is pin compatible with the AD9215, AD9235, and AD9245. This allows a simplified migration from 10 bits to 14 bits and 20 MSPS to 80 MSPS.
- The DCS maintains overall ADC performance over a wide range of clock pulse widths. 6. The OTR output bit indicates when the signal is beyond the selected input range.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Application Notes (16)
Tools & Simulations
Virtual Eval - BETA
Virtual Eval is a web application to assist designers in product evaluation of ADCs, DACs, and other ADI products. Using detailed models on Analog’s servers, Virtual Eval simulates crucial part performance characteristics within seconds. Configure operating conditions such as input tones and external jitter, as well as device features like gain or digital down-conversion. Performance characteristics include noise, distortion, and resolution, FFTs, timing diagrams, response plots, and more.
AD9236 IBIS Models
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
Technical Articles (5)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.