Features and Benefits
- Monolithic 12-Bit A/D Converter Product Family
- Family Members are: AD9221, AD9223, and AD9220
- Flexible Sampling Rates: 1.5 MSPS, 3.0 MSPS, and 10 MSPS
- Low Power Dissipation: 59 mW, 100 mW, and 250 mW
- Single +5 V Supply
- Integral Nonlinearity Error: 0.5 LSB
- Differential Nonlinearity Error: 0.3 LSB
- 70 dB SNR and 86 dB SFDR
- Out-of-Range Indicator
- 28-SOIC and 28-SSOP
The AD9221, AD9223, and AD9220 are a generation of high performance, single supply 12-bit analog-to-digital converters. Each device exhibits true 12-bit linearity and temperature drift performance1 as well as 11.5 bit or better ac performance2. The AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 share the same interface options, package, and pinout. Thus, the product family provides an upward or downward component selection path based on performance, sample rate and power. The devices differ with respect to their specified sampling rate and power consumption which is reflected in their dynamic performance over frequency.
The AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 combine a low cost, high speed single-CMOS process and a novel architecture to achieve the resolution and speed of existing hybrid and monolithic implementations at a fraction of the power consumption and cost. Each device is a complete, monolithic ADC with an on-chip, high performance, low noise sample-and-hold amplifier and programmable voltage reference. An external reference can also be chosen to suit the dc accuracy and temperature drift requirements of the application. The devices use a multistage differential pipelined architecture with digital output error correction logic to provide 12-bit accuracy at the specified data rates and to guarantee no missing codes over the full operating temperature range.
The input of the AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 is highly flexible, allowing for easy interfacing to imaging, communications, medical, and data-acquisition systems. A truly differential input structure allows for both single-ended and differential input sample-interfaces of varying input spans. The sample-and-hold (SHA) amplifier is equally suited for both multiplexed systems that switch full-scale voltage levels in successive channels as well as sampling single-channel inputs at frequencies up to and beyond the Nyquist rate. Also, the AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 is well suited for communication systems employing IF Down Conversion since the SHA in the differential input mode can achieve excellent dynamic performance far beyond its specified Nyquist frequency2.
A single clock input is used to control all internal conversion The digital output data is presented in straight binary format. An out-of-range (OTR) signal indicates an flow condition which can be used with the most significant bit to determine low or high overflow.
- The AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 family offers a complete single-chip sampling 12-bit, analog-to-digital conversion function in pin compatible 28-lead SOIC and SSOP packages.
- Flexible Sampling Rates—The AD9221, AD9223, and AD9220 offer sampling rates of 1.5 MSPS, 3.0 MSPS, and 10.0 MSPS, respectively.
- Low Power and Single Supply—The AD9221, AD9223, and AD9220 consume only 59 mW, 100 mW, and 250 mW, respectively, on a single 5 V power supply.
- Excellent DC Performance Over Temperature—The AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 provide 12-bit linearity and temperature drift performance.1
- Excellent AC Performance and Low Noise—The AD9221 / AD9223 / AD9220 provide better than 11.3 ENOB performance and have an input referred noise of 0.09 LSB rms.2
- Flexible Analog Input Range—The versatile on-board sample-and-hold (SHA) can be configured for either single-ended or differential inputs of varying input spans.
1 Excluding internal voltage reference
2 Depends on the analog input configuration
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Application Notes (9)
Tools & Simulations
For designers who are selecting or evaluating high speed ADCs, VisualAnalog™ is a software package that combines a powerful set of simulation and data analysis tools with a user-friendly graphical interface.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.