Features and Benefits
- Dual 12-Bit, 2-Channel ADC
- Fast Throughput Rate 1 MSPS
- Specified for VDD of 2.7 V to 5.25 V
- Low Power:
11.4 mW Max at 1 MSPS with 3 V Supplies
24 mW Max at 1 MSPS with 5 V Supplies
- Wide Input Bandwidth
70 dB SNR at 300 kHz Input Frequency
- Onboard Reference 2.5 V
- Flexible Power/Throughput Rate Management
- Simultaneous Conversion/Read
- No Pipeline Delays
- High-Speed Serial Interface SPI®/QSPI™/ MICROWIRE™/DSP Compatible
- Shut-Down Mode: µA Max
- 20-Lead TSSOP Package
The AD7866 is a dual 12-bit high-speed, low power, successive-approximation ADC. The part operates from a single 2.7 V to 5.25 V power supply and features throughput rates up to 1 MSPS. The device contains two ADCs, each preceded by a low-noise, wide bandwidth track/hold amplifier, which can handle input frequencies in excess of 10 MHz.
The conversion process and data acquisition are controlled using standard control inputs allowing easy interfacing to microprocessors or DSPs. The input signal is sampled on the falling edge of CS and conversion is also initiated at this point. The conversion time is determined by the SCLK frequency. There are no pipelined delays with the part.
The AD7866 uses advanced design techniques to achieve very low power dissipation at high throughput rates. With 3 V supplies and 1 MSPS throughput rate, the part consumes a maximum of 3.8 mA. With 5 V supplies and 1 MSPS, the current consumption is a maximum of 4.8 mA. The part also offers flexible power/throughput rate management when operating in sleep mode.
The analog input range for the part can be selected to be a 0 V to VREF range or a 2 × VREF range with either straight binary or twos complement output coding. The AD7866 has an on-chip 2.5 V reference that can be overdriven if an external reference is preferred. Each on-board ADC can also be supplied with a separate individual external reference.
The AD7866 is available in a 20-lead thin shrink small outline (TSSOP) package
- The AD7866 features two complete ADC functions, allowing simultaneous sampling and conversion of two channels. Each ADC has a 2-channel input multiplexer. The conversion result of both channels is available simultaneously on separate data lines, or may be taken on one data line if only one serial port is available.
- High Throughput with Low Power Consumption—The AD7866 offers a 1 MSPS throughput rate with 11.4 mW maximum power consumption when operating at 3 V.
- Flexible Power/Throughput Rate Management—The conversion rate is determined by the serial clock, allowing the power consumption to be reduced as the conversion time is reduced through a SCLK frequency increase. Power efficiency can be maximized at lower throughput rates if the part enters sleep during conversions.
- No Pipeline Delay—The part features two standard successive approximation ADCs with accurate control of the sampling instant via a CS input and once off conversion control.
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-AD7866CBZ is a fully featured evaluation kit for the AD7866. This board operates in stand alone mode or in conjunction with the Evaluation Controller board . When operated with the Evaluation Controller board, software is provided enabling the user to perform detailed analysis of the ADC's performance. This software includes the technical note describing the operation and set up of the evaluation board in standalone operation or when operated with the Evaluation Controller board.
Tools & Simulations
Reference Designs (1)
Circuit Note (1)
Technical Articles (2)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.