Features and Benefits
- 5 MHz to 20 MHz external clock input rate
- 16 bits, no missing codes
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR): 88 dB typical
- Effective number of bits (ENOB): 14.2 bits typical
- Typical offset drift vs. temperature: 1.6 μV/°C typical
- LVDS interface
- On-board digital isolator
- On-board reference
- Full-scale analog input range: ±320 mV
- −40°C to + 125°C operating range
- High common-mode transient immunity: >25 kV/μs
- 16-lead, wide-body SOIC, with increased creepage package
- See data sheet for additional features
The AD7405 is a high performance, second-order, Σ-Δ modulator that converts an analog input signal into a high speed, single-bit LVDS data stream, with on-chip digital isolation based on Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology. The AD7405 operates from a 5 V (VDD1) power supply and accepts a differential input signal of ±250 mV (±320 mV full-scale). The differential input is ideally suited to shunt voltage monitoring in high voltage applications where galvanic isolation is required.
The analog input is continuously sampled by a high performance analog modulator, and converted to a ones density digital output stream with a data rate of up to 20 MHz. The original information can be reconstructed with an appropriate digital filter to achieve 88 dB signal to noise ratio (SNR) at 78.1 kSPS. The LVDS input/output can use a 5 V or a 3.3 V supply (VDD2).
The LVDS interface is digitally isolated. The LVDS interface technology, combined with monolithic transformer technology, means the on-chip isolation provides outstanding performance characteristics, superior to alternatives such as optocoupler devices. The AD7405 device is offered in a 16-lead, wide-body SOIC package and has an operating temperature range of −40°C to +125°C.
- Shunt current monitoring
- AC motor controls
- Power and solar inverters
- Wind turbine inverters
- Data acquisition systems
- Analog-to-digital and opto-isolator replacements
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (2)
The EVAL-AD7405FMCZ is a full featured evaluation board designed to allow the user to easily evaluate all features of the AD7405 isolated analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The evaluation board can be controlled by the EVAL-SDP-CH1Z via FMCZ connector (J9). The SDP-H1 board (EVAL-SDP-CH1Z) allows the evaluation board to be controlled through a USB port of a PC using the evaluation board software available for download from the product page or from the included installer CD.
On-board components include the following:
ADuM6000: isolated iCoupler® 5kV, DC / DC converter
ADP2441: 36 V, 1A, synchronous, step down DC-DC regulator
ADP7104ARDZ-5.0: 5 V low noise LDO
Evaluation Kit Contents
- Evaluation board
- CD containing evaluation board software installation
- EVAL-SDP-CH1Z (must be ordered separately) includes a USB cable and 12v wall wart.
- Signal source
- PC running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with USB 2.0 port
Two motors can be driven at the same time, each motor having its separate power supply. The system incorporates high quality power sources; reliable power, control, and feedback signals isolation; accurate measurement of motor current & voltage signals; high speed interfaces for control signals to allow fast controller response; industrial Ethernet high speed interfaces; single ended Hall, differential Hall, encoder and resolver interfaces; digital position sensors interface; flexible control with a FPGA/SoC interface.
The kit consists of two boards: a controller board and a drive board. An optional AD-DYNO2-EBZ dynamometer can also be purchased through Avnet and is intended to be an extension of the drive system.
- Digital board for interfacing with the low and high voltage drive boards
- Compatible with all Xilinx FPGA platforms with FMC LPC or HPC connectors
- FMC signals voltage adaptation interface for seamless operation on all FMC voltage levels
- Fully isolated digital control and feedback signals
- Isolated Xilinx XADC interface
- 2 x Gbit Ethernet PHYs for high speed industrial communication, with 3rd party EtherCAT support
- Single ended Hall, Differential Hall, Encoder, Resolver interfaces
- Digital sensors interfaces
- BISS Interface
- Drives motors up to 48V @ 20A
- Drives 2 motors simultaneously
- High frequency drive stage implemented with ADI isolated gate drivers
- Supported motor types
Stepper (bipolar / unipolar)
- Integrated over current protection
- Reverse voltage protection
- Current and Voltage measurement using isolated ADCs
- BEMF zero cross detection for sensorless control of PMSM or BLDC motors
- Separate voltage supplies for the 2 motors so that the motors don't influence each other
Dynamometer System with Embedded Control
- Two BLDC motors connected by a rigid couple in a dyno setup, which can be used to test real-time motor control performance.
- One BLDC motor acts as an electronically adjustable load and is driven by the embedded control system. This motor can be directly connected to the FMC motor drive to get complex / active loads. The load can be driven also by the AD-FMCMOTCON2-EBZ to implement dynamic load profiles.
- The other BLDC motor is driven by the FMC motor drive.
- Measurement and display of load motor current
- Measurement and display of load motor speed
- External control using Analog Discovery and MathWorks Instrumentation Control Toolbox
Example reference designs showing how to use the platform with Xilinx® FPGAs or SoCs and high performance control algorithms from Mathworks® are provided together with the hardware. Information on the FMC board, and how to use it, the design package that surrounds it, and the software which can make it work, can be found by clicking the software link.
Features & Benefits
The FMCMOTCON2 evaluation kit enables users to:
- Model and implement motor control algorithms rapidly for high performance servo systems, incorporating system modelling and design concepts using Mathworks model based design
- Reduce time needed to move a motor control system from concept to production, by providing a prototyping system to verify the hardware and control algorithms before moving to production stage.
Tools & Simulations
Safety and Regulatory Compliance (1)
Product Selection Guide (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.