Features and Benefits
- Recovers signal from 100 dB noise
- 2 MHz channel bandwidth
- 45 V/µs slew rate
- Low crosstalk: −120 dB at 1 kHz, −100 dB at 10 kHz
- Pin programmable, closed-loop gains of ±1 and ±2
- 0.05% closed-loop gain accuracy and match
- 100 µV channel offset voltage (AD630)
- 350 kHz full power bandwidth
- Chips available
The AD630 is a high precision balanced modulator/demodulator that combines a flexible commutating architecture with the accuracy and temperature stability afforded by laser wafer trimmed thin film resistors. A network of on-board applications resistors provides precision closed-loop gains of ±1 and ±2 with 0.05% accuracy (AD630B). These resistors may also be used to accurately configure multiplexer gains of 1, 2, 3, or 4. External feedback enables high gain or complex switched feedback topologies.
The AD630 can be thought of as a precision op amp with two independent differential input stages and a precision comparator that is used to select the active front end. The rapid response time of this comparator coupled with the high slew rate and fast settling of the linear amplifiers minimize switching distortion.
The AD630 is used in precision signal processing and instrumentation applications that require wide dynamic range. When used as a synchronous demodulator in a lock-in amplifier configuration, the AD630 can recover a small signal from 100 dB of interfering noise (see the Lock-In Amplifier Applications section). Although optimized for operation up to 1 kHz, the circuit is useful at frequencies up to several hundred kilohertz.
Other features of the AD630 include pin programmable frequency compensation; optional input bias current compensation resistors, common-mode and differential-offset voltage adjustment, and a channel status output that indicates which of the two differential inputs is active.
- The application flexibility of the AD630 makes it the best choice for applications that require precisely fixed gain, switched gain, multiplexing, integrating-switching functions, and high speed precision amplification.
- The 100 dB dynamic range of the AD630 exceeds that of any hybrid or IC balanced modulator/demodulator and is comparable to that of costly signal processing instruments.
- The op amp format of the AD630 ensures easy implementation of high gain or complex switched feedback functions. The application resistors facilitate the implementation of most common applications with no additional parts.
- The AD630 can be used as a 2-channel multiplexer with gains of 1, 2, 3, or 4. The channel separation of 100 dB at 10 kHz approaches the limit achievable with an empty IC package.
- Laser trimming of the comparator and amplifying channel offsets eliminate the need for external nulling in most cases.
- Balanced modulation and demodulation
- Synchronous detection
- Phase detection
- Quadrature detection
- Phase sensitive detection
- Lock in amplification
- Square wave multiplication
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Application Notes (7)
Tools & Simulations
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.