Features and Benefits
- Nonvolatile memory maintains wiper settings
- Thin LFCSP-10 (3 mm x 3 mm x 0.8 mm) package
- Compact MSOP-10 (3 mm × 4.9 mm × 1.1 mm) package
- I2C-compatible interface
- VLOGIC pin provides increased interface flexibility
- End-to-end resistance 5 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, 100 kΩ
- Resistance tolerance stored in EEPROM (0.1% accuracy)
- Power-on EEPROM refresh time < 1ms
- Software write protect command
- Address Decode Pin AD0 and Pin AD1 allow 4 packages per bus
- 100-year typical data retention at 55°C
- Wide operating temperature −40°C to +125°C
- 3 V to 5 V single supply
The AD5259 provides a compact, nonvolatile LFCSP-10 (3 mm x 3 mm) or MSOP-10 (3 mm x 4.9 mm) packaged solution for 256-position adjustment applications. These devices perform the same electronic adjustment function as mechanical potentiometers1 or variable resistors, but with enhanced resolution and solid-state reliability. The terms digital potentiometer, VR (variable resistor), and RDAC are used interchangeably.
The wiper settings are controllable through an I2C-compatible digital interface that is also used to read back the wiper register and EEPROM content. Resistor tolerance is also stored within EEPROM, providing an end-to-end tolerance accuracy of 0.1%.
A separate VLOGIC pin delivers increased interface flexibility. For users who need multiple parts on one bus, Address Bit AD0 and Address Bit AD1 allow up to four devices on the same bus
- LCD panel VCOM adjustment
- LCD panel brightness and contrast control
- Mechanical potentiometer replacement in new designs
- Programmable power supplies
- RF amplifier biasing
- Automotive electronics adjustment
- Gain control and offset adjustment
- Fiber to the home systems
- Electronics level settings
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD5259 supports single-supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V operation, making the device suited for battery-powered applications and many other applications with superior low temperature coefficient performance.
In addition, the AD5259 uses a versatile I2C serial interface that operates in fast mode, allowing speeds of up to 400 kHz. This interface can be used to read back the wiper register and EEPROM content.
The EVAL-MB-LV-SDZ can operate in single-supply mode and incorporates an internal power supply from the USB.
Complete specifications for the AD5259 part can be found in the AD5259 data sheet.
Software & Systems Requirements
Product Selection Guide (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.