Features and Benefits
- 2-channel, 256-position potentiometers
- End-to-end resistance: 2.5 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, and 100 kΩ
- Compact 10-lead MSOP (3 mm × 4.9 mm) package
- Fast settling time: tS = 5 µs typical on power-up
- Full read/write of wiper register
- Power-on preset to midscale
- Computer software replaces microcontroller in factory programming applications
- Single supply: 2.7 V to 5.5 V
- Low temperature coefficient: 35 ppm/°C
- Low power: IDD = 6 µA maximum
- Wide operating temperature: −40°C to +125°C
- Evaluation board available
The AD5243 and AD5248 provide a compact 3 mm × 4.9 mm packaged solution for dual, 256-position adjustment applications. The AD5243 performs the same electronic adjustment function as a 3-terminal mechanical potentiometer, and the AD5248 performs the same adjustment function as a 2-terminal variable resistor. Available in four end-to-end resistance values (2.5 kΩ, 10 kΩ, 50 kΩ, and 100 kΩ), these low temperature coefficient devices are ideal for high accuracy and stability-variable resistance adjustments. The wiper settings are controllable through the I2C-compatible digital interface. The AD5248 has extra package address decode pins, AD0 and AD1, allowing multiple parts to share the same I2C, 2-wire bus on a PCB. The resistance between the wiper and either endpoint of the fixed resistor varies linearly with respect to the digital code transferred into the RDAC latch. (The terms digital potentiometer, VR, and RDAC are used interchangeably.)
Operating from a 2.7 V to 5.5 V power supply and consuming less than 6 µA allows the AD5243/AD5248 to be used in portable battery-operated applications.
For applications that program the AD5243/AD5248 at the factory, Analog Devices, Inc., offers device programming software running on Windows® NT/2000/XP operating systems. This software effectively replaces the need for external I2C controllers, which in turn enhances the time to market of systems. An AD5243/AD5248 evaluation kit and software are available. The kit includes a cable and instruction manual.
- Systems calibrations
- Electronics level settings
- Mechanical trimmers replacement in new designs
- Permanent factory printed circuit board (PCB) setting
- Transducer adjustment of pressure, temperature, position, chemical, and optical sensors
- RF amplifier biasing
- Gain control and offset adjustment
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The AD5243 supports single-supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V operation, making the device suited for battery-powered applications and many other applications.
In addition, the AD5243 uses a versatile I2C serial interface that operates in fast mode, allowing speeds of up to 400 kbps.
The EVAL-AD5243SDZ can operate in single-supply mode and incorporates an internal power supply from the USB.
Complete specifications for the AD5243 part are in the AD5243 data sheet.
Features & Benefits
- Full-featured evaluation board for the AD5243
- Various test circuits
- Various ac/dc input signals
- PC control via a separately purchased system demonstration platform (SDP-B)
- PC software for control
Software & Systems Requirements
Product Selection Guide (1)
Analog Dialogue (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.