Features and Benefits
- Dual-channel, 1024-position resolution
- 25 kΩ, 250 kΩ nominal resistance
- Maximum ±8% nominal resistor tolerance error
- Low temperature coefficient: 35 ppm/°C
- 2.7 V to 5 V single supply or ±2.5 V dual supply
- SPI-compatible serial interface
- Nonvolatile memory stores wiper settings
- Power-on refreshed with EEMEM settings
- Permanent memory write protection
- Resistance tolerance stored in EEMEM
- See data sheet for additional features
- Download AD5235-EP data sheet (pdf)
- Temperature range: −40°C to +125°C
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- 1 assembly/test site
- 1 fabrication site
- Enhanced product change notification
- Qualification data available on request
- V62/11605 DSCC Drawing Number
The AD5235 is a dual-channel, nonvolatile memory, digitally controlled potentiometer with 1024-step resolution, offering guaranteed maximum low resistor tolerance error of ±8%. The device performs the same electronic adjustment function as a mechanical potentiometer with enhanced resolution, solid state reliability, and superior low temperature coefficient performance. The versatile programming of the AD5235 via an SPI®-compatible serial interface allows 16 modes of operation and adjustment including scratchpad programming, memory storing and restoring, increment/decrement, ±6 dB/step log taper adjustment, wiper setting readback, and extra EEMEM for user-defined information such as memory data for other components, look-up table, or system identification information.
In the scratchpad programming mode, a specific setting can be programmed directly to the RDAC register, which sets the resistance between Terminal W and Terminal A and Terminal W and Terminal B. This setting can be stored into the EEMEM and is restored automatically to the RDAC register during system power-on.
The EEMEM content can be restored dynamically or through external PR strobing, and a WP function protects EEMEM contents. To simplify the programming, the independent or simultaneous linear-step increment or decrement commands can be used to move the RDAC wiper up or down, one step at a time. For logarithmic ±6 dB changes in the wiper setting, the left or right bit shift command can be used to double or halve the RDAC wiper setting.
The AD5235 patterned resistance tolerance is stored in the EEMEM. The actual end-to-end resistance can, therefore, be known by the host processor in readback mode. The host can execute the appropriate resistance step through a software routine that simplifies open-loop applications as well as precision calibration and tolerance matching applications. The AD5235 is available in a thin, 16-lead TSSOP package. The part is guaranteed to operate over the extended industrial temperature range of −40°C to +85°C.
- DWDM laser diode driver, optical supervisory systems
- Mechanical potentiometer replacement
- Instrumentation: gain, offset adjustment
- Programmable voltage-to-current conversion
- Programmable filters, delays, time constants
- Programmable power supply
- Low resolution DAC replacement
- Sensor calibration
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
With versatile programmability, the AD5235 allows multiple modes of operation, including read/write access in the RDAC and EEMEM registers, increment / decrement of resistance, resistance changes in ±6 dB scales, wiper setting read-back, and extra EEMEM for storing user-defined information, such as memory data for other components or a lookup table.
The AD5235 supports dual-supply ±2.25 V to ±2.75 V operation and single-supply 2.7 V to 5.5 V operation, making the device suited for battery-powered applications and many other applications. In addition, the AD5235 uses a versatile SPI-compatible serial interface, allowing speeds of up to 50 MHz .
The EVAL-AD5235SDZ can operate in single-supply and dual-supply mode and incorporates an internal power supply from the USB.
Complete specifications for the AD5235 part can be found in the AD5235 data sheet.
Features & Benefits
- Full featured evaluation board for the AD5235
- Several test circuits
- Various ac/dc input signals
- PC control via a separately purchased system demonstration platform (SDP)
- PC control software
- 26 extra bytes in EEMEM for user-defined information
- Resistor tolerance error stored in EEMEM
Application Notes (6)
Software & Systems Requirements
Tools & Simulations
Product Selection Guide (1)
Analog Dialogue (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.