Features and Benefits
- HV Buck Controller: VIN = 4.5V to 60V, VOUT = 5V/3.3V
- LV Buck Regulators: VINA-H = 2.25V to 5.5V, VOUT1-4 ≥ 0.8V
- 8×1A LV Buck Integrated Power Stages, Configurable as 2, 3 or 4 Output Channels
- 8 Unique Output Configurations (1A to 4A Per Channel)
- Low Total No-Load Input Supply Current (IQ)
- 15µA HV Controller Only (5VOUT)
- 23μA HV Controller Only (3.3VOUT)
- 33μA HV Controller (3.3VOUT) Plus One LV Regulator
- 9μA Per Additional LV Regulator Channel
- 1MHz to 3MHz Operation (HV Runs at 1/6 Frequency)
- Programmable or Synchronizable to External Clock
- Programmable Watchdog and Power-On Reset Delay
- IC Die Temperature Monitor Output
- Thermally Enhanced 48-Pin 7mm × 7mm QFN Package
The LTC3372 is a highly flexible multioutput power supply IC. The device includes a high-performance, high voltage (HV) step-down DC/DC switching regulator controller that drives an all N-channel synchronous power FET stage from a 4.5V to 60V input.
The LTC3372 also includes four low voltage (LV) synchronous buck regulators that can be programmed by the C1-C3 pins to share eight 1A integrated power stages in one of eight possible configurations. Each power stage is powered from independent inputs which may be connected to the HV buck’s VOUT or to other 2.25V to 5.5V supplies.
The CT pin programs timing parameters of the watchdog timer and LV outputs’ Power-On Reset (RST). Precision enable thresholds facilitate reliable power-up sequencing.
The LTC3372 is available in a 48-pin 7mm × 7mm QFN package.
- Automotive and Industrial Always-On Systems
- General Purpose Multi-Channel Power Supplies
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
Demonstration circuit 2419A features the LTC3372 in a multi-output step-down converter. The controller portion of the LTC3372 drives a high output voltage (HV) buck converter which has an input voltage range of 6V to 60V. Its output voltage (VOUT_HV) is nominally 5V but can be configured for either 5V or 3.3V with the VOUTPRG pin. VOUT_HV supplies power to the configurable buck regulator. This regulator provides four low voltage (LV) outputs labelled VOUT1-4. These outputs are 1.2V/2A, 1.8V/2A, 2.5V/2A and 3.3V/2A respectively. When VOUT_HV is configured for 5V, it can supply 6A to the external loads with full load on VOUT1-4. With no load on VOUT1-4, VOUT_HV can supply 10A to the external loads.
The LV buck regulator consists of eight power stages that can be arranged in up to four channels. The LV regulator on the DC2419A is setup for four channels of two power stages each. With modifications, the LV buck regulator can be setup for eight different configurations.
If VOUT_HV is programmed for 3.3V, then VOUT4 which provides 3.3V/2A will be in dropout. This rail will require an external input voltage to stay in regulation.
The LV rails operate at 2MHz and the HV converter operates at one-sixth this frequency or 333kHz. The high frequency of the LV rails allows the use of 4mm × 4mm inductors. The power stage for the HV converter consists of 60V avalanche rated MOSFETs and a 2.2μH 10mm × 10mm inductor. A 4mΩ discrete sense resistor is used to sense current.
The low IQ current of the LTC3372 provides high efficiency at light loads. When the VOUT_HV is supplying the nominal 5V, its Burst Mode® efficiency with 1mA load is 90.3% for a 12V input. When the HV converter is off, it only draws 27μA from a 12V input.
The LTC3372 data sheet provides a complete description of the IC operation and application information. The data sheet must be read in conjunction with the quick start guide.
Features & Benefits
- Selectable light load operating modes of:
- Pulse-skipping (HV) and Burst Mode operation (LV)
- Burst Mode operation
- PLLIN pin to synchronize the LV regulators over a 1MHz to 3MHz range (166kHz to 500kHz for the HV converter)
- Watch dog circuit
- TEMP pin to monitor the junction temperature of the LTC3372
- PGOOD pin for the HV converter and RST pin for the LV regulators
Tools & Simulations
LTspice® is a powerful, fast and free simulation software, schematic capture and waveform viewer with enhancements and models for improving the simulation of analog circuits.
Models for the following parts are available in LTspice:
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.