Features and Benefits
- EEMBC ULPMark™-CP score (3 V): 189
- Ultra low power active and hibernate modes
- Active mode dynamic current: 41 μA/MHz (typical)
- Flexi mode: 400 μA (typical)
- Hibernate mode: 0.65 μA (typical)
- Shutdown mode: 50 nA (typical)
- Shutdown mode (fast wake-up): 0.20 μA (typical)
- ARM Cortex-M4F processor at 52 MHz with FPU, MPU, ITM with SWD interface
- Power management
- Single-supply operation (connected to VBAT pins): 1.74 V to 3.6 V
- Optional buck converter for improved efficiency
- Memory options
- 512 kB of embedded flash memory with ECC
- 4 kB of cache memory to reduce active power
- 128 kB of configurable system SRAM with parity
- Watchdog with dedicated on-chip oscillator
- Hardware CRC with programmable polynomial
- Multiparity bit protected SRAM
- ECC protected embedded flash
- Hardware cryptographic accelerator supporting AES-128, AES-256, and SHA-256
- Protected key storage in flash, SHA-256-based keyed
- HMAC and key wrap and unwrap
- User code protection
- Digital peripherals
- 3 SPI interfaces to enable glueless interface to sensors, radios, and converters
- 1 I2C and 2 UART peripheral interfaces
- SPORT for natively interfacing with converters and radios
- Programmable GPIOs (44 in LFCSP and 51 in WLCSP)
- 3 general-purpose timers with PWM support
- RGB timer for driving RGB LED
- RTC0 for time keeping
- RTC1 with SensorStrobe and time stamping
- Programmable beeper
- 27-channel DMA controller
- Clocking features
- 26 MHz clock: on-chip oscillator, external crystal oscillator, SYS_CLKIN for external clock, and integrated PLL
- 32 kHz clock: on-chip oscillator and low power crystal oscillator
- Clock fail detection for external crystals
- Analog peripherals
- 12-bit SAR ADC, 1.8 MSPS, 8 channels, and digital comparator
The ADuCM4050 microcontroller unit (MCU) is an ultra low power integrated microcontroller system with integrated power management for processing, control, and connectivity. The MCU system is based on the ARM® Cortex®-M4F processor. The MCU also has a collection of digital peripherals, embedded static random access memory (SRAM) and embedded flash memory, and an analog subsystem that provides clocking, reset, and power management capabilities in addition to an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) subsystem.
This data sheet describes the ARM Cortex-M4F core and memory architecture used on the ADuCM4050 MCU. It does not provide detailed programming information about the ARM processor.
The system features include an up to 52 MHz ARM Cortex-M4F processor, 512 kB of embedded flash memory with error correction code (ECC), an optional 4 kB cache for lower active power, and 128 kB system SRAM with parity. The ADuCM4050 features a power management unit (PMU), multilayer advanced microcontroller bus architecture (AMBA) bus matrix, central direct memory access (DMA) controller, and beeper interface.
The ADuCM4050 features cryptographic hardware supporting advanced encryption standard (AES)-128 and AES-256 with secure hash algorithm (SHA)-256 and the following modes: electronic code book (ECB), cipher block chaining (CBC), counter (CTR), and cipher block chaining-message authentication code (CCM/CCM*) modes.
The ADuCM4050 has protected key storage with key wrap/ unwrap, and keyed hashed message authentication code (HMAC) with key unwrap.
The ADuCM4050 supports serial port (SPORT), serial peripheral interface (SPI), I2C, and universal asynchronous receiver/ transmitter (UART) peripheral interfaces.
The ADuCM4050 features a real-time clock (RTC), general-purpose and watchdog timers, and programmable general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pins. There is a hardware cyclic redundancy check (CRC) calculator with programmable generator polynomial. The device also features a power on reset (POR) and power supply monitor (PSM), a 12-bit successive approximation register (SAR) ADC, a red/green/blue (RGB) timer for driving RGB LED, and a true random number generator (TRNG).
To support low dynamic and hibernate power management, the ADuCM4050 MCU provides a collection of power modes and features such as dynamic- and software-controlled clock gating and power gating.
For full details on the ADuCM4050 MCU, refer to the ADuCM4050 Ultra Low Power ARM Cortex-M4F MCU with Integrated Power Management Hardware Reference.
- Ultra low power consumption.
- Robust operation.
- Full voltage monitoring in deep sleep modes.
- ECC support on flash.
- Parity error detection on SRAM memory.
- Leading edge security.
- Fast encryption provides read protection to user algorithms.
- Write protection prevents device reprogramming by unauthorized code.
- Failure detection of 32 kHz low frequency external crystal oscillator (LFXTAL) via interrupt.
- SensorStrobe™ for precise time synchronized sampling of external sensors. Works in hibernate mode, resulting in drastic current reduction in system solutions. Current consumption reduces by 10 times when using, for example, the ADXL363 accelerometer. Software intervention is not required after setup. No pulse drift due to software execution.
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Smart agriculture, smart building, smart metering, smart city, smart machine, and sensor network
- Fitness and clinical
- Machine learning and neural networks
Markets & Technology
- Industrial Automation Technology (IAT)
- Clinical Monitoring
- ECG Patient Monitoring
- EEG Measurement
- Medical Isolation and Patient Safety
- NiBP based on BCG and PPG
- NiBP based on ECG and PPG
- Respiration Measurement
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
- Portable Blood Analyzer
- Body Composition Measurement
- Body-Worn Insulin Pump
- Motion Sensing/Fall Detection
- Sport Watch
- Wearable Health Monitor
- Life Sciences & Medical Instrumentation
Internet of Things (IoT)
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EV-COG-AD4050 is a development platform for Analog Devices Ultra Low Power technology across ADI's MCU and RF transceiver portfolio. The board uses CrossCore Embedded Studio, an open source Eclipse based Interactive Development Environment (IDE), which can be downloaded free of charge. The platform contains many hardware and software example projects to make it easier for customers to prototype and create solutions for Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
A Cog development system may consist of these
- A MCU Cog that highlights the differentiating values of ADI ULP portfolio.
- An optional add-on board (Gear) for application specific use case.
- An optional wireless board (RF-Cog) for connectivity.
The Cog development system objective is to rapidly create a development/prototyping capability focused on industrial, professional, pro-sumer customers, with a flexible radio, microprocessor, sensor and application development environment.
Features & Benefits
- On-board ultra-low power ARM Cortex M4F MCU
- No external Debugger/Emulator Tools required
- Small form factor (75X35mm )
- Multiple power options – USB, Coincell, External, Li-Ion
- Onboard peripherals – Accelerometer, Temperature sensor
- Compatible with ADI RF daughter cards, and RF modules
- Compatible with ADI application add-on boards (Gears)
- Expansion Connectors and Jumpers for providing external access to all MCU signals
Application Notes (4)
Solutions Bulletins & Brochures (1)
Technical Articles (1)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.