Features and Benefits
- TIA/EIA RS-485 compliant over full supply range
- 3.0 V to 5.5 V operating voltage range on VCC
- 1.62 V to 5.5 V VIO logic supply option available
- ESD protection on the bus pins
- IEC 61000-4-2 ±12 kV contact discharge
- IEC 61000-4-2 ≥ ±12 kV air discharge
- HBM: ≥ ±30 kV
- Full hot swap support (glitch free power-up/power-down)
- High speed 50 Mbps data rate (ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E)
- Low speed 500 kbps data rate for long cables (ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3063E)
- Full receiver short-circuit, open circuit, and bus idle fail-safe
- Extended temperature range up to 125°C
- PROFIBUS compliant at VCC ≥ 4.5 V
- Half duplex and full duplex models available
- Allows connection of up to 128 transceivers onto the bus
- Space-saving package options
- 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm LFCSP
- 8-lead and 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm MSOP
- 8-lead and 14-lead, narrow body SOIC
- Download ADM3065E-EP/ADM3066E-EP/ADM3067E-EP Data Sheet (PDF)
- Extended industrial temperature range: −55°C to +125°C
- Controlled manufacturing baseline
- 1 assembly/test site
- 1 fabrication site
- Product change notification
- Qualification data available on request
The ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3063E/ADM3064E/ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E are 3.0 V to 5.5 V, IEC electrostatic discharge (ESD) protected RS-485 transceivers, allowing the devices to withstand ±12 kV contact discharges on the transceiver bus pins without latch-up or damage. The ADM3062E/ADM3064E/ADM3066E/ADM3068E feature a VIO logic supply pin that allows a flexible digital interface capable of operating as low as 1.62 V.
The ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E are suitable for high speed, 50 Mbps, bidirectional data communication on multipoint bus transmission lines. The ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3063E/ADM3064E/ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E feature a 1/4 unit load input impedance that allows up to 128 transceivers on a bus. The ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3063E/ADM3064E models offer all of the same features as the ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E models at a low 500 kbps data rate that is suitable for operation over long cable runs.
The ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3065E/ADM3066E are halfduplex RS-485 transceivers, fully compliant to the PROFIBUS® standard with increased 2.1 V bus differential voltage at VCC ≥ 4.5 V. The ADM3063E/ADM3064E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E are full duplex RS-485 transceiver options.
The RS-485 transceivers are available in a number of spacesaving packages, including the 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm lead frame chip-scale package (LFCSP), the 8-lead or 10-lead, 3 mm × 3 mm mini small outline package (MSOP), and the 8-lead or 14-lead, narrow body standard small outline packages (SOIC_N). Models with operating temperature ranges of −40°C to +125°C and −40°C to +85°C are available.
Excessive power dissipation caused by bus contention or by output shorting is prevented by a thermal shutdown circuit. If a significant temperature increase is detected in the internal driver circuitry during fault conditions, this feature forces the driver output into a high impedance state.
The ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3063E/ADM3064E/ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E guarantee a logic high receiver output when the receiver inputs are shorted, open, or connected to a terminated transmission line with all drivers disabled.
Table 2 presents an overview of the ADM3061E/ADM3062E/ADM3063E/ADM3064E/ADM3065E/ADM3066E/ADM3067E/ADM3068E data rate capability across temperature, power supply, and package options. Refer to the Ordering Guide section for model numbering.
- Industrial fieldbuses
- Process control
- Building automation
- PROFIBUS networks
- Motor control servo drives and encoders
Markets and Technologies
Product Lifecycle Production
At least one model within this product family is in production and available for purchase. The product is appropriate for new designs but newer alternatives may exist.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The EVAL-ADM3066EEBZ and EVAL-ADM3066EEB1Z allow quick and easy evaluation of the ADM3066E 50 Mbps RS-485 transceiver with standard MSOP and LFCSP footprints, respectively. The evaluation boards allow the input and output functions to be exercised without external components. Screw terminal blocks provide convenient connections for power and ground, digital input and output, and RS-485 signals. The evaluation boards can be powered by a standard configurable bench power supply within a 3.0 V to 5.5 V range.
The EVAL-ADM3066EEBZ evaluation board has a footprint for the ADM3066EBRMZ half duplex RS-485 transceiver in an 10-lead MSOP package. The EVAL-ADM3066EEB1Z evaluation board has a footprint for a half duplex RS-485 transceiver in an 10-lead LFCSP package.
Complete specifications for the ADM3066E device are provided in the ADM3066E data sheet and should be consulted in conjunction with user guide (UG-1131) when using the evaluation board.
Features & Benefits
- Easy evaluation of ADM3066E 50 Mbps RS-485 transceiver
- Board layouts for standard half duplex RS-485 footprints
- 10-lead, MSOP, ADM3066EBRMZ (EVAL-ADM3066EEBZ)
- 10-lead, LFCSP, ADM3066EBCPZ (EVAL-ADM3066EEB1Z)
- Power/ground connections through screw terminal block
- 3.0 V to 5.5 V operating voltage range on VCC
- 1.62 V to 5.5 V VIO logic supply
- IEC ESD protection on the RS-485 A and B bus pins
- ±12 kV contact discharge and ±12 kV air gap discharge
- Screw terminal blocks for logic input/output and RS-485 signals
- Jumper-selectable enable/disable for RE and DE
- Test points for measuring all signals
- Resistors and footprints for termination and biasing networks
Product Selection Guide (1)
Press Releases (1)
Technical Articles (6)
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Support & Discussions
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.