Features and Benefits
- Functional safety approved to SIL 2/SC3 for unipolar current output by TÜV Rheinland, File Number 968/FSP 2055.00/20
- Current/voltage output available on a single terminal
- Current output ranges: 0 mA to 20 mA, 4 mA to 20 mA, 0 mA to 24 mA, ±20 mA, ±24 mA, −1 mA to +22 mA
- Voltage output ranges (with 20% overrange): 0 V to 5 V, 0 V to 10 V, ±5 V, and ±10 V
- User-programmable offset and gain
- Advanced on-chip diagnostics
- 12-bit ADC functioning as an independent monitoring function that can validate the output and accuracy.
- On-chip reference
- DPC for thermal management
- User-programmable offset and gain
- Robust architecture, including output fault protection
- EMC test standards:
- IEC 61000-4-6 conducted immunity (10 V, Class A)
- IEC 61000-4-3 radiated immunity (20 V/m, Class A)
- IEC 61000-4-2 ESD (±6 kV contact, Class B)
- IEC 61000-4-4 electrical fast transient (EFT) (±4 kV, Class B)
- IEC 61000-4-5 surge (±4 kV, Class B)
- CISRP 11 Radiated Emissions (Class B)
- 32-lead, 5 mm × 5 mm LFCSP
- −40°C to +105°C temperature range
The ADFS5758 is a single-channel, 16-bit, current/voltage output DAC. The device is functional safety approved for unipolar current output and is a fully compliant item with a systematic capability of SC3, which can be used in safety-related applications up to SIL 2, according to IEC 61508. This arrangement allows a single ADFS5758 to be used to achieve SIL 2 for a nonredundant configuration. The safe state for the ADFS5758 is open circuit/high impedance.
The ADFS5758 is a single-channel, voltage and current output digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that operates with a power supply range from −33 V minimum on AVSS to +33 V maximum on AVDD1 with a maximum operating voltage between the two rails of 60 V. On-chip dynamic power control (DPC) minimizes package power dissipation, which is achieved by regulating the supply voltage (VDPC+) to the VIOUT output driver circuitry from 4.95 V to 27 V using a buck dc-to-dc converter, optimized for minimum on-chip power dissipation. The CHART pin enables a HART® signal to be coupled onto the current output.
The device uses a versatile 4-wire serial peripheral interface (SPI) that operates at clock rates of up to 50 MHz and is compatible with standard SPI, QSPI™, MICROWIRE™, DSP, and microcontroller interface standards. The interface also features an optional SPI cyclic redundancy check (CRC) and a windowed watchdog timer. The ADFS5758 offers improved diagnostic features from its predecessors, such as an integrated independent 12-bit diagnostic analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that can be used to digitize both internal and external nodes.
- Functional safety approved to SIL 2/SC3 by TÜV Rheinland.
- Range of advanced diagnostic features, including an integrated ADC for high reliability.
- DPC using an integrated buck dc-to-dc converter for thermal management. When used with the ADP1031, the ADFS5758 enables eight channel to channel isolated outputs at <2 W dissipated power.
- Programmable power control (PPC) mode to enable faster settling time (15 µs typical).
- Highly robust with output protection from miswire events (±38 V).
- Process control
- Actuator control
- Channel isolated analog outputs
- Programmable logic controller (PLC) and distributed control system (DCS) applications
- HART network connectivity
Markets and Technologies
The safety function defined for the ADFS5758 takes a digital input code and produces an output unipolar current to within ±2.5% of the full-scale range, proportional to the digital input code. For example, 2.5% of a 4 mA to 20 mA range is 400 µA. Therefore, the output current is within ±400 µA of the programmed output. If the safety function is compromised (a fault is detected in the system), the safe state for the ADFS5758 is open circuit/high impedance. The diagnostic coverage (DC) of the ADFS5758 for an assumed use case is >90%. A detailed description of the configuration, operation, SFF calculations, FIT data, and other required metrics for the ADFS5758 in a functionally safe application can be found in the ADFS5758 Safety Manual (available by request).
Functional Safety Manual & Safety Report
The Functional Safety Manual & Safety Report are available upon completion of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) (pdf). Send your completed forms, project details, company information and contact by e-mail to ADFS5758@analog.com. Additional support is available from your Analog Devices local sales.
Product Lifecycle Recommended for New Designs
This product has been released to the market. The data sheet contains all final specifications and operating conditions. For new designs, ADI recommends utilization of these products.
Evaluation Kits (1)
The ADFS5758 is a functional safety approved, single-channel, voltage and current output, digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with on-chip dynamic power control (DPC) to minimize package power dissipation.
For full details, refer to the ADFS5758 data sheet. Consult the data sheet when using the EVAL-ADFS5758SDZ. The configuration of the various link options is explained in the Evaluation Board Hardware section. The installation of the companion software is described in the Installing the ACE Software and ADFS5758 Plugins section.
The EVAL-ADFS5758SDZ, as shown in Figure 1, requires the EVAL-SDP-CS1Z board. The EVAL-ADFS5758SDZ interfaces to the USB port of the PC via the EVAL-SDP-CS1Z board. The analysis, control, evaluation (ACE) software allows simplified programming of the ADFS5758, and is available with the EVAL-ADFS5758SDZ evaluation board.
ADI has always placed the highest emphasis on delivering products that meet the maximum levels of quality and reliability. We achieve this by incorporating quality and reliability checks in every scope of product and process design, and in the manufacturing process as well. "Zero defects" for shipped products is always our goal.
Sample & Buy
The USA list pricing shown is for BUDGETARY USE ONLY, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit for the stated volume), and is subject to change. International prices may differ due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates. For volume-specific price or delivery quotes, please contact your local Analog Devices, Inc. sales office or authorized distributor. Pricing displayed for Evaluation Boards and Kits is based on 1-piece pricing.
Selecting the Sample button above will redirect to the third-party ADI Sample Site. The part selected will carry over to your cart on this site once logged in. Please create a new account there if you have never used the site before. Contact SampleSupport@analog.com with any questions regarding this Sample Site.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.