Part Numbers with "Z" indicate RoHS Compliance. Boards checked are needed to evaluate this circuit.
- MAXREFDES282# EV Kit
This reference design provides information about preparing and operating the MAXREFDES282: Health Patch Platform. This platform uses high-sensitivity Photoplethysmogram (PPG), Electrocardiogram (ECG), Bio Impedance (BioZ) and temperature biosensors, and two power-management IC (PMIC) from Maxim Integrated®, now part of Analog Devices®, in a chest-patch design to capture biometric signals important for healthcare. The platform integrates algorithms to calculate those vital signs including heart rate (HR), respiration rate (RR), and blood oxygenation (SpO2) based on the biosensors measurement data. The vital signs data can be displayed on a Windows® GUI in real-time and logged to a local file for further study. This is a demonstration only reference design. The schematic, layout, and manufacturing files are not available.
Wearable and supporting documentation are available under NDA only.*
The MAXREFDES282: Chest-Based SpO2, HR, RR, and Temperature Vital Signs Platform is an evaluation platform in a chest-patch form factor that demonstrates the functions of a wide range of ADI's products for health-sensing applications. It integrates a three-in-one PPG + ECG + BioZ analog front end (AFE) sensor (MAX86178), two temperature sensors (MAX30208), and a 3-axis accelerometer. It also features a power-management IC (MAX20335), a buck-boost converter (MAX20343), and a rechargeable Li+ battery.
The patch is designed for long-term passive monitoring with a runtime of up to three days on a single charge. The PPG acquisition system consists of a red and infrared (IR) light emitter source and a photodiode receiver. The MAX86178 AFE includes two programmable high-current LED drivers and dual high-resolution optical readout signal-processing channels with robust ambient-light cancellation which are ideal for SpO2 measurement. The ECG acquisition system has two wet electrodes and an optional third electrode (right leg drive [RLD] electrode) configuring a 1-LEAD ECG measurement system for continuous HR monitoring.
The high-performance BioZ data acquisition system implements a hardware circuit that uses the same electrodes as the ECG system for RR measurement. The patch also features measurements for both skin temperature and ambient temperature using two low-power consumption, highly accurate MAX30208 temperature sensors. The real-time vital signs can be viewed and logged through Bluetooth communication available on a customed Health Patch Platform Software Tool running on a Windows PC.
The MAXREFDES282 includes the following equipment:
- MRD282 Sensor Board
- MAX86178 ECG, PPG, and BioZ Biosensor AFE
- Two MAX30208 High Accuracy Digital Temperature Sensors
- MAX20335 Power Management IC
- LEDs: One IR and One Red [OSRAM SFH7015]
- One Photodiode [Vishay VEMD8080]
- 3-Axis Accelerometer [TDK InvenSense ICM-42688-P]
- USB A to USB-Type C cable
- USB-Type C to ECG snap electrodes cable
- Li-Po Battery 190mAh 3.7V [MIKROE-2759]
- CY5677 CySmart BLE 4.2 USB Dongle (optional when used with Windows BLE)
- 3M DC Medical “2-in-One” Differential Polyester Film Tape (non-reusable)
- Water-resistant enclosure (when used with a USB-C cable and the film tape)
- Red Dot - B01AME7YC0 3M 2560 Multi-Purpose Monitoring Electrode (Remains fresh for 45 days out of the bag)
- Additional equipment required:
- PC Running Windows 10+
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 or above
Quick Start Guide
The button on the top of the patch is the power button. The only function of this button is to power on and off the patch.
- To power on the patch, press and hold the power button for 3 seconds and release. The status LED blinks three times and the patch is turned on.
- To verify that the patch is turned on, press the power button once and the status LED blinks once.
- To power off the patch, press and hold the power button for 3 to 12 seconds. The status LED turns off upon releasing the button.
You must receive an NDA to order and access the device, software, firmware, and user guide, plus other support collateral such as source code, API documents, example software, and more.
- To apply for the NDA, fill out the request form and agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Applying for an NDA does not necessarily guarantee approval or shipment of any device or software.
- NDA is subject to approval by the Customer Service Team and will notify applicants accordingly.
- If the NDA is approved, customers will need to register for a MyAnalog account (for existing account holders, please log in with your details) in order to access the zip file under the Software Development section (note that this will appear only for approved MyAnalog accounts).
Support & Training
Search our knowledge base for answers to your technical questions. Our dedicated team of Applications Engineers are also available to answer your technical questions.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece.
Up to two boards can be purchased through Analog.com. To order more than two, please purchase through one of our listed distributors.
Pricing displayed is based on 1-piece. The USA list pricing shown is for budgetary use only, shown in United States dollars (FOB USA per unit), and is subject to change. International prices may vary due to local duties, taxes, fees and exchange rates.